Cameron Smith-Barcelona Spain Abroad Beach Water Sea Sunny Summer Paddleboard Dog Man Relax Blue.Jpg
Cameron Smith / Her Campus
Wellness

What I Learned from Attending a Wellness Event

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Welcome to the Los Angeles wellness scene, where the world is full of nothing but healing and positive energy. Which I know is something we could all use a lot of right now.  Recently I had the opportunity to attend a (very fancy) wellness event in downtown Los Angeles and I’ve been able to apply some things from that experience into college life.

a pink neon "and breathe" sign over a plant wall
Max van den Oetelaar | Unsplash

Meditation/Reiki 

One of the first things we did at the event was participate in a group Reiki healing. It sounds ‘out there,’ I know.  Reiki healing is an energy transfer from the healer to the participant(s); it is usually done on an individual basis and the healer transfers energy through their hands.  I’ll be honest, I was skeptical of this and it sounded really odd to me.  However, in a group setting, it was more of a guided meditation.  

Meditation is something I think all college students could benefit from. There are a lot of great videos on YouTube that you can follow along with.  In my personal experience, meditation has really helped me to release stress and focus.  

Celina Timmerman-Oversized Tshirt And Cup
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus

Self-Care

This event really emphasized the importance of self-care. We were all told how important it was to take breaks during the day in order to be able to ‘reset’ after stressful situations.  One of the speakers talked about how she always washes her hands after a meeting in order to wash away the emotions and stress of the event. (It’s also just not a bad idea to wash your hands often ;). This is also something you can do after a big test or presentation as a way of telling yourself it’s over and you did it.  

Self-care can also just include going on walks and giving yourself ‘me time’.  Going outside is also a really great way to reset.  A walk with some music playing is a great form of relaxation.  

I think there’s something all of us can learn from the crazy world of wellness, no matter how weird it may seem.  I encourage you all to try and find a way to relax and rest or try something from this article. 

Bari Cashman

Cal Lutheran '21

Bari Cashman is a student at California Lutheran University. She is currently pursuing a degree in Marketing Communications. She is an avid reader and writer.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!