This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Photo courtsey of Pexels

Why I Started Doing Yoga

I don’t normally make New Year’s resolutions, but this year I did. I decided that I was going to do yoga every day; whether it was for ten minutes or an hour. This was not because I wanted to be able to relax or to get into shape, I already run or workout a few times a week, but because of my back pain. While I may be an almost 20-year-old, I deal with constant back pain.  This is a lingering problem that I’ve had for many years because I have a mild case of scoliosis which is the “sideways curvature of the spine” according to Mayo Clinic.  However, the pain became worse when I got into a car accident a year ago.  This put my back and neck all out of whack and even after chiropractor visits, the pain still persisted.  My doctor and parents have told me that doing yoga would help with the scoliosis and back pain. So, for 2019, I finally decided to give it a try.

Has it worked?

The short answer: Yes. By doing yoga every day my back pain has significantly decreased. I’ve noticed that on the days where I have forgotten to do yoga my back pain reappears. Note: this is not a cure for scoliosis, but something that has helped me. However, it has done even more than help my back pain to subside.  I feel more balanced, physically and emotionally, after doing a yoga class.  

Photo by Rui Dias from Pexels
                                                                            Photo courtsey of Pexels

How to Start Yoga

I have been taking my yoga classes through the Peloton app, which requires a paid subscription. I am using this service because my family has the Peloton spin bike, so it serves multiple uses.  I have also taken yoga classes on YouTube. These classes are free!  There are so many yoga classes on both YouTube and Peloton to choose from.  On YouTube, I have taken classes from Yoga with Adriene, she has a bedtime Yoga class that puts me right to sleep every time I can’t fall asleep.  

Photo courtsey of Pexels

Final Thoughts on Yoga

I’ll admit that I was skeptical of yoga. It took me many years and getting into a car accident to finally start doing it, I don’t recommend this method.  But the truth is, it has done wonders for me, and I am now a big believer in the power of yoga.  It stretches your body, improves balance and focus.  So roll out that yoga mat that’s been hiding in a closet for years and get started.  

Bari Cashman

Cal Lutheran '21

Bari Cashman is a student at California Lutheran University. She is currently pursuing a degree in Marketing Communications. She is an avid reader and writer.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!