This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

1. Never talk down about yourself.

I feel like this is the most important step in loving yourself. Do not look at yourself in the mirror and point out all the things that you believe are flaws, it’s not healthy. Wake up, look in the mirror and love on every inch of your body!

2. Don’t compare yourself to others.

Comparing yourself to people around you, like models you see on ads, is definitely not healthy. Wanting to be the same size as someone else is fine, but putting yourself down while wishing to be her size, isn’t healthy. If you think being a size 2, like the Victoria Secret model, will magically change everything, you’re wrong. If you think that all these models look like they do in their ads, that’s incorrect. The models you see on ads are not what the models look like in real life.

(Source)

3. Don’t compare yourself to what you used to look like years ago either.

The you from 5 or 10 years ago is not the same person as you are now.

4. Surround yourself with people that make you feel good.

There’s nothing better than being with the ones you love and who love you. If you are with people who talk down on you or point out your flaws, leave that relationship. Do not stay in a relationship or friendship that makes you feel bad about yourself.

(Source)

5. Learn that your weight and jean size does not define you.

It’s just a number! Don’t fall victim to your scale. Learn to love your size, it’s you. Better yet, throw it out.

6. Exercise to feel better.

Don’t go to gym with the thought of just looking better, go to the gym with the thought that it will make you feel better. If you do that, the results will make yourself feel even better and you will actually love your results. Rather than if you go to the gym just to look better, you won’t appreciate the results as much.

7. Accept when people give you compliments.

I understand how it can be awkward and uncomfortable when people compliment you. I, myself, have a hard time accepting them. They can sometimes make it seem like you are conceited when you accept, but learn to humbly accept them. When someone compliments you, it’s their opinion/thought, so thank them, smile, then move on.

(Source)

8. Treat yourself the way you would treat others.

Imagine if you heard your best friend or sister speak about themselves the way that you do to yourself. Personally, I would be upset and heartbroken they would think that. They are beautiful and so are you.

9. Wear clothes that make you feel beautiful.

Don’t be pressured to wear clothes that you think will make yourself fit in. Don’t wear clothes that make you feel uncomfortable in and still wear it. If you feel amazing and ready to take on the day in sweats and a t-shirt, wear it! If you feel beautiful and powerful in a tube top and a mini skirt, wear it! Don’t let what society or other people think determine what you wear.

10. Be positive!

Just like waking up and telling yourself it will be a great day, wake up and be happy with your body. Wake up and look in the mirror and look at what you think are flaws and love on them. Love on your body and you will start believing it. If you think your ears are too big, look at them and tell yourself you love them. If you think your thighs are too big, look at them and tell yourself that your thighs are beautiful. This body is yours and yours only, you shouldn’t be negative to it or everything will become negative.

(Source)

I'm a junior at the College of Charleston, majoring in History and International Studies. Totally not sure what I want to do but I love writing about important issues. I'm a self-proclaimed professional photographer and a lover of all things space and spooky.