bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why I Love Morning Runs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

By: Masha Komissarova

If you’re a morning person then this is for you!  If you’re a night owl, then this is something new you can try. Running is one of the most effective exercises and it’s free! You don’t have to spend your entire college tuition on expensive gyms. My personal advice: save that money for cute workout clothes to motivate you. 

I love running in the morning and I’ll tell you why you should start taking control over your mornings by going on runs.  

You’ll start your day more productively. You will love the feeling of being more productive than everyone else who’s sleeping. It’s the morning and you’ve accomplished so much already! 

You will have a better mood through the day. Exercise releases endorphins and what better way to start feeling good than in the morning?

Photo credit: Reggae Marathon

It is time for yourself. We all need that sometimes and the beautiful sunrise is only a bonus. 

Since you started your day off from running, you’ll physically feel better and therefore will want to eat fuel foods like (vegetables, fruits, meat, etc.) and not junk food. 

You’re running by yourself and you have independence. You’re exploring new roads, weather, emotions and your body’s physical capacity. You can explore what you are capable of, and realize that you are capable of absolutely everything if you give yourself time and consistency.  Photo credit: Reggae Marathon

Planning your day while running can be very helpful. What are you going to do today? If you’re running without music, think about what you have ahead of you today and prepare for that. 

Preparing for your day, mentally, is easy while running. If you have a test running before class will give you time for calmness and collectiveness. It will give you more positivity and strength.  

You’ll get the afternoon off from working out. Have you ever thought during class “Ugh, I need to go to the gym, but it’s the end of the day and I have tons of homework and I’m tired”? I know I have about 100 times. If you squeeze your workout in the morning, you’ll won’t have to worry about getting it done during the day. It’s only a 30-minute run, but it will leave you feeling productive and accomplished for hours. 

Photo credit: Reggae Marathon

Every day I have 8 am classes; sometimes lectures, sometimes discussions. What I like to do is wake up at 5:45 am and go running. I run to the gym, at the gym I lift weights, and then walk back. I get to enjoy a beautiful sunrise when I go back; it truly captures “new day, new opportunities” feeling. I grab coffee at the George Sherman Union and go to my dorm to get dressed. At about 7:30 I go out to class. 

Good luck trying this new routine and don’t forget to have fun! 

Cover photo from Runner’s World

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.