This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Being far from your mom’s healthy home cooked meals and living in the city of Boston, fast food restaurants and unlimited amounts of French fries and soft serve ice cream are at your fingertips. That makes it very easy for you to gain a substantial amount of weight while in college. This list will provide some helpful tips for new and returning college students!

1. Drink lots of water.

Drinking water has a variety of health benefits. And most of the time when you think you’re hungry, you’re just thirsty.

2. Bike or walk to class.

Boston University’s campus is pretty large, making exercise somewhat more accessible. So, instead of taking public transportation to class, you could walk or ride your bike.

3. Stock your dorm with healthy snacks.

Having healthy snack options in your room will replace the need to go on late night food runs and keep you from munching on goodies from the vending machines.

4. Exercise with friends.

It’s often difficult to push yourself to go to the gym. But if you go with friends, you’re more likely to get a good workout and it’ll be fun, too!

5. Get sleep.

Staying up till the late hours of the night can have some severe consequences for your health. It’s important to get a good night’s rest so you are clear minded and energetic for the following day.

6. Moderation is key.

If you’re craving those french fries, I say go for it! But you have to remember moderation is very important when you want to stay healthy. If you don’t have those fries every day, you’ll be fine.

7. Avoid Sugary Drinks

All that sugar is unhealthy for you, and if you’re trying to stay healthy, avoiding sugary beverages at any cost is a must.

Hopefully, these tips will help you live a healthy college lifestyle!

Cover photo from greatvaluecolleges.net. 

Sophia loves everything bagels with cream cheese
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.