nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Small Ways To Practice Self-Care in Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

By Nicole Marino

As we all know, college can be extremely stressful. There are memes about it, people joke about it, and most importantly, almost everyone experiences it. As work piles up, avoiding stress can become inevitable. Unfortunately, high levels of stress can have really negative effects on our bodies. According to NYU’s Safety, Health, and Wellness page, it affects both students’ effectiveness and health. They list facts stating that “stress is the number one reported impediment to academic performance,” and that it leads to immune system suppression, “which can increase susceptibility to physical illness and psychological conditions such as anxiety and depression.” There is also a more positive fact: students who participate in meditation practices demonstrate lower levels of stress. If meditation isn’t quite your thing (don’t worry, you’re not alone), there are other easy ways you can take a little time to de-stress. Here are 4 things you can do in the comfort of your dorm to soothe your body, mind, and soul.

1. Jam out to your favorite music.

Believe it or not, music can really influence your mood. According to an article from University of Nevada, Reno, “upbeat music can make you feel more optimistic and positive about life. A slower tempo can quiet your mind and relax your muscles, making you feel soothed while releasing the stress of the day.” There’s nothing easier than putting in some headphones and listening to your favorite music. If you have Spotify, there are several playlists curated based on moods or genre. Some of my favorites are Songs to Sing in the Shower, Happy Hits, and Peaceful Guitar.

2. Pamper yourself.

Even if you have just an hour on a Sunday morning, take that time to treat yourself! For warm pajamas, throw a fresh pair in the dryer for a couple minutes along with the rest of the laundry that inevitably gets done on Sundays. Put on some calming music, drink a cup of your favorite tea, use a face mask, or paint your nails. Everyone deserves to take time for themselves, and this is a great way to relax before the start of a busy week.

3. Binge-watch that Netflix show you’ve been meaning to watch.

If you’re like me, you probably have a list of shows on Netflix that you’ve either been meaning to start, or started and never finished. Dedicate some time and go for it! Watch Michael Scott put his coworkers in uncomfortable situations, or cry your heart out to another one of Grey’s Anatomy’s flashbacks to Derek’s death. Taking your mind off of school for a little bit is important, and can help clear your mind.

4. Remind yourself of what makes you happy.

It’s really easy to stay in a negative frame of mind when you’re stressed. All you want to think about are the things you have to get done, and any deadlines you have. A good way to get out of that rut is to make a list of things that you enjoy or make you happy. It can be a running list of good things that happened in a day or just things you like in general. Another way you can do this is by keeping a gratitude journal, in which every day you write down something you were thankful for or happy about that day. That can help set you up to think more positively and make any stressful thoughts you have seem less daunting.

These are all things that don’t take too much time out of your week and require little to no money. Make it your goal this semester to time some time for yourself. Don’t spend the time over-stressing over an exam that you won’t even remember in a year. Preventing a health problem can be as easy and listening to some fun music or watching a show on Netflix, so why not do it? Here’s to a happy, healthy, and as stress-free possible semester.

For more suggestions for dealing with stress, check out Boston University Student Health Services management tips, and don’t be afraid to ask for help if stress is affecting your everyday life.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!      

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.