The Little Things We Should Be Thankful For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I don’t know about you guys, but for me, Thanksgiving break was not a want but a need – something I didn’t even know I needed.

October was a pretty rough month for everyone from what I hear. With never-ending midterms, an abundance of papers, and loads of responsibilities that we let pile up because we were too busy with the midterms and papers, it is safe to say a break was needed.

Coming back to Boston for my first fall here was very different than what I expected, as I wrote in a previous article. For one, time went by way faster than it did in the spring. I didn’t even realize it had been two and a half months since I was home until the week before we left for break.

After flying home, I realized just how much I miss it. There are so many things that I didn’t think I would miss, so I decided to make a list of things that I am very thankful for at home.

1. My bed.

I feel like this one applies to everyone out there. Your bed is a sanctuary and your one safe haven that nothing can EVER replace. Sleeping in my own bed after months away made me realize that I have a seriously intimate relationship with it and that I haven’t got a good night’s sleep in a while. So this Thanksgiving, I was very thankful for her.

2. Home-cooked food, a concept.

WARNING: THIS CONTAINS MESSAGES THAT WILL MAKE YOU MISS HOME AGAIN.

Waking up to the smell of homemade chicken curry with correctly cooked rice made me a little teary-eyed. Having someone who loves you so much to cook exactly what you want and have it ready when you are hungry is such a fascinating concept that I never really appreciated until I was in college.

I can hear all of you mentally agreeing with this message but that’s okay! We all were a little ungrateful before we left home, but look at us now! Grateful and in need of home-cooked food.

3. My parents, the makers of the food.

You never know how much you miss your parents until they aren’t bothering you every day. Yes, I love the fact that they cook the foods I like, but I also just miss messing around with them. Even though we talk about random topics when I came home, it brought me some kind of comfort knowing that they will always be a safe place for me.

I know I don’t say it enough, but I’m super thankful for them as well.

4. My car.

Oh my goodness, never did I believe I would miss having to worry about how much gas was in my car but after booking Ubers, taking the T, walking or running down Commonwealth Avenue, I can say, without a doubt, that I MISSED MY CAR.

My lovely cute Honda Civic brought me unparalleled joy this break and I love her so much. After being away from her, I realized that she has saved me so much money and so much time! Instead of planning to leave from my room 30 minutes early so I can walk somewhere, I could leave 15 minutes early and still be on time. I am super-duper thankful for her and all the help she gave me. 

5. The people I grew up with.

No matter how much they annoy you about what college you got into, how you are doing in school, or what internships you applied for, seeing people or family members you grew up with is such a comfort. No matter the questions they ask, you know they love you and after the stress of college, that warm love feels like the best thing in the whole wide world.

6. My best friend.

My best friend goes to a state school in California, so she left for college before I left for BU which means that it had been about three months since I saw her last. Sitting in my bed while snacking and catching up was the best feeling in the whole world. It felt like we went back to high school for that little bit of time and didn’t have the stress of college on our back.

I think this goes without saying, but having a best friend in a different time zone is really hard, so being able to have those few undisturbed moments meant everything to me and I am grateful.

7. Stress-free environment.

I cannot stress this more – having an escape from a place as hectic and chaotic as BU is the best thing about home. I don’t think I’m alone in saying that Boston University has provided us with enough mental breakdowns to last us a lifetime.

So, having a place where you are stress-free is so important for your mental health and bettering your ability to succeed.

With that folks, I give you a list of things that I am incredibly thankful for. I hope you guys had a wonderful break and became even more thankful for the little things that you get when you’re home. Also, we only have three more weeks till you can go home again for Christmas Break so HAPPY HOLIDAYS, FOLKS!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

I'm Kirthana Iyer, and I go by Kir as well! I am super fascinated by investigative reporting but I also have a soft spot for a simple listicle. At Boston University, I am a Journalism major with a concentration in International Relations. Since high school, I have had a passion for writing whether it be an argumentative essay or an article on the next Senior class event, so I wanted to find a way to do that in college. HerCampus provides me with that outlet. I am able to write about issues that an everyday teen deals with to pieces about our current political climate. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.