This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

After a relaxing winter break filled with lounging around and hopefully enjoying yourself, some of us may not be quite ready to get back to the late nights, study sessions, and cold Boston weather. In the hectic times ahead of us, self-care tends to be the first thing out of our daily routine. Many people do not see self-care as a necessity, so we prioritize studying and hanging out with friends above sleeping, eating well, and being kind to ourselves. 

If you feel like all you did over break was lie around and relax, you may be able to put these relaxation skills to work in the upcoming semester. So really, you were being productive the whole time, right? Here are some helpful reminders for how to keep up with self-care this semester.

1. Sleep!

Sleep should be a main priority, even with everything going on in college life. While getting eight hours a night is not always possible, we can try! Try to stay off of your phone a few hours before bed, and maybe read a good book before you doze off.

2. Exercise.

Exercise is also an essential part of self-care. Even if you only get your heart rate up for 15 minutes a day, the release of endorphins will put you in a better mood. Anything from yoga to weightlifting to running is great.

3. Prioritize food and water.

Water and food also tend to be low on our list of priorities when other things are going on. But it is literally impossible to survive without them, and not nourishing your body with food and water can be extremely detrimental to your long-term health. Drinking a glass of water in the morning and before bed, as well as throughout the day is a good start.

4. Solitude.

Whether you are someone who has been hitting the books or the parties, everyone needs a break once in a while. As important as it is to study, and as fun as it is to socialize, spending a night in alone with a book or Netflix can be therapeutic.

5. Unplug.

Taking a break from technology is just what you need when your school and social life seems like too much. Taking a day or two to unplug from social media and texting is a great way to stay grounded and calm.

Although these tips are nothing new, it never hurts to have a reminder of basic self-care tips that we always seem to be forgetting. Have a happy and healthy semester!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!      

Jill is a Sophomore at Boston University. She is studying journalism and enjoys listening to music, yoga, traveling, and any activity that involves food!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.