This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Stress is something everyone experiences. But what is stress exactly? The Cleveland Clinic says that it is the body’s reaction to any change that requires an adjustment or response.” It goes on to say that this becomes a negative occurrence “when a person faces continuous challenges without relief or relaxation between stressors.”

College students are under a lot of pressure that increases their stress. Researchers at New York University conducted a study on stress in college students and they got interesting results. They found, “Nationally, 53% of students report having felt so stressed they didn’t want to hang out with friends on one or more occasions.” They also found that “6 in 10 college students report having felt so stressed they couldn’t get their work done on one or more occasions.” Stress affects many areas of your life. Personally, when I’m stressed, I find that I am less motivated to do work and it is harder for me to focus.

Credit: PeopleImages via Getty Images

Well, if stress is such a big issue, what are some ways in which we can manage it? NYU suggested the act of meditation for reducing stress. What is meditation? Well, it “is a practice where an individual uses a technique…to train attention and awareness, and achieve a mentally clear and emotionally calm and stable state.” The techniques people can use to meditate can range from the practice of mindfulness to just stopping and taking maybe five minutes out of their days to sit in a calm quiet place and close their eyes and breathe deeply. The act of stopping even for five minutes helps people to collect their thoughts and to not feel so pressured which helps to diminish stress.

Credit: Mihailo Milovanovic / Getty Images

When I am feeling stressed, I like to go for a run along the Charles River. Getting out of the dorm and away from my work helps me to feel free, in a way, from what is causing me stress. Running along the river and seeing the boats, trees, and other people running helps my mind not to dwell on what is causing me stress.

You don’t have to run per se. You can do any exercise that’s appealing to you – even a walk will do. The Mayo Clinic says that exercise in any form causes you to release more endorphins which help you feel good. Endorphins are associated with helping people feel more positive. Exercise doesn’t just help you feel more positive, but it also helps you sleep better, which is helpful stress can sometimes disrupt sleep.

Some other ways to help diminish stress are simply doing things that make you happy. This could mean going to see a movie, hanging out with friends, going out to eat, and so on. Just remember that stress affects everyone and to take care of yourself!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets.

Karla is a sophomore at Boston University majoring in english.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.