This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With the start of the new year, the motivation to get in shape is at its peak. Working out to the music playing at the gym can be boring and make your run on the treadmill seem never ending. So end the boring gym trips by creating or finding your perfect pump-up workout playlist! Try these great (free) music apps and rock out while you work out.

1. Songza

Songza is the perfect music app for any mood your in. This app has a pre-set list of activities for every day of the week. For example, Sunday evenings options include brand new music, working out, cooking, driving, the 2014 Grammy Awards and relaxing at home. You can also narrow your search by choosing a genre, artist or mood. With Songza, your music options are endless!

2. Soundcloud

Soundcloud is a great website and app to allow you to create your own playlists. Simply search for an artist or song, and add it to your own playlist. This website is especially great for finding new remixes that may be harder to find elsewhere.

3. Spotify

Although Spotify on your computer allows you to access more of the songs you want whenever you want them, the mobile app is able to pick music for you based on songs, artists or genres of your choice. For unlimited access to your favorite music, you can download Spotify premium for a low, monthly cost.

4. 8Tracks

8Tracks is accessible online or as an app, and it is a collection of pre-made playlists for whatever you are feeling like listening to. You narrow your search down by choosing words that describe your mood or what kind of music you are trying to listen to, and it then provides you with a variety of playlists. 8Tracks is also great for parties and get togethers!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.