harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Small Things to Remind Yourself Today

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Last year, I made the side of my dresser a motivational “wall” filled with different motivational quotes – or things that inspire me. It backfired because it was in a place that I never really looked at. This year, my entire half of the wall is filled with motivational things, and waking up every-day and seeing things and people that inspire and motivate me has had an extremely positive impact on my mental health.

While it may be too late in the semester to re-decorate your wall, it’s never too late to get a healthy dose of motivation:

1. Take care of yourself today!

Photo credit: @greatest

Always remember to practice self-care. Don’t let it be just one day (#selfcaresunday), make it a part of your everyday routine. Try by taking a long walk at the end of the day, or use a facemask.

2. Don’t give up.

Photo credit: @greatest

Things can get hard, especially around this time of the year. I know that for me, the past few weeks have felt like hell and back. But, it’s important to remember that it’s just temporary and that things will eventually ease up – even if it’s in a few months or a few years.

3. It’s not over.

Photo credit:  @torisaysofficial

Going off of the last point – just because things are messed up now, doesn’t mean it’s always going to be messed up. Just because you got rejected by one thing, doesn’t mean you’ll get rejected by all the things. Don’t give up and always keep trying and pushing forward. One day, someone will see that you never gave up. Maybe that person will be you.

4. Always have big dreams, because even if it doesn’t happen, whatever you’re left with is still big.

Photo credit: @medschool.inspiration

Working your way up to something that seems like a crazy hard goal is tough – we all have big dreams that don’t seem possible at the time. But remember, somehow, someway, you’ve already started to slowly inch your way up to your goal. Even if you can’t make it to the top of the mountain – you’ve still made it somewhere.

5.  But…

Photo credit: @medschool.inspiration

If you’re almost there, you might as well try to get to the very end and be the person who you really want to be. This doesn’t have to be just career-wise, but can just be where you see yourself – mentally, physically, financially.

6. And most importantly – love yourself.

Photo credit: @greatest

You are your best friend. Remember, out of all of the people in the world, you are the only person that will stick through until the very end. So never give up on yourself, treat yourself with kind words, smile at yourself in the mirror. You’re unfortunately kind of stuck with yourself – so embrace it.

And remember: Just keep swimming.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Alizah Ali is a senior at BU. She's working on her biology-premed degree, which finds her often in the quietest parts of the library. She loves coffee and bunnies and running whenever the Boston weather lets her. She's a big advocate for mental health destigmatization and awareness. Follow her on instagram @lizza0419
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.