This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Midterm season is a busy and tough time for all college students. It’s natural to want a break from the high stress and long study hours. However, it may be hard to find relaxing activities that don’t pull you away from studying for too long.

In this article, I will break down five different ways to relax during a stressful mid-term season.

Going on a Walk

Going for a walk is a fantastic way to relax. It doesn’t have to be long, and you don’t have to worry about walking at an intensive pace.

When you walk, try to think about what is around you and the sounds you hear. Really try to be present. When you begin to have stressful, anxious thoughts about midterms, just acknowledge them and gently push them aside. 

Meditating

Taking deep breaths through meditation is a great way to take a break. You can meditate for as long as you want and however you want. You don’t have to be an expert!

Meditation can help you remember what you’re grateful for, ground you, and reduce anxiety. 

One way I learned about meditation was through an app called Headspace. Headspace takes you through different meditation programs that are beginner-friendly. Even better, Boston University students can access the app for free. 

Listening to Music

Another way to forget about pending studies is listening to some of your favorite music.

Listening to music associated with fun memories can be a great way to focus your mind on something else. Listening to certain types of music can also motivate you to persevere through your work post-break.

Talk to your friends or family

Not all breaks need to be solo. It can be relaxing to talk to your friends or family. 

Talking to your friends and family can help remind you of what you love and, in turn, ease your anxiety. Surrounding yourself with good company will remind you that regardless of how tough times may be in the moment, there are people always supporting you.

Reading

Picking up a good book is always a good way to divert your attention. Books can transport you to a different world, helping you relax and better manage the stress of midterms.

As studying piles up and midterms approach, this list gives you some ways to take a break from studying and relax. Whenever stress settles in, remind yourself to take a break and care for yourself! Good luck on your exams!

While exams are important, so is your mental well-being and health so make sure to take breaks when they are due!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Lily Gutierrez, is a sophomore and has been in Her Campus since the second semester of her second year. She works on Her Campus' PR team. She is going to BU for psychology. In her free time she enjoy reading, embroidering, walking and she has started to DJ.