bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

What Vitamins are Women Commonly Lacking?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

We, as women, go through our daily lives suffering from aches and pains that can be a result of various vitamin deficiencies – and we probably have no idea.

Brittle nails and hair may not just be “the way they are”.

Being cold all the time may not just be “cold blood”.

Deficiencies are caused by various factors, including diet and stress. However, every woman is different. Someone who has Celiac will have a dramatically different vitamin intake than someone who follows a vegan diet. It is important to understand your diet and how you can alter it to ensure you’re getting all you need to lead a healthy, vitamin-rich lifestyle. If your diet isn’t enough, there are supplements available for nearly every vitamin you need!

What are the most common vitamins women are deficient in?

Vitamin D

If you’re deficient in Vitamin D, you can suffer from frequent respiratory illnesses, fatigue and dramatic mood swings with the change of seasons – most prominent in the winter (which makes sense because we get Vitamin D from the sun!).

Risks that are associated with a lack of Vitamin D can include, but aren’t limited to:

• Loss of bone density
  • Diabetes
  • High blood pressure
  • Cancer
  • Autoimmune conditions

Magnesium

Do you suffer from tight muscles and experience spasms more often than you should? Having difficulty sleeping and bouts of nausea can also be due to a Magnesium deficiency. This vitamin is essential for nervous system health and regulation of stress levels.

Risks that are associated with a lack of Magnesium can include, but aren’t limited to:

• Migraines
  • Osteoporosis
  • High blood pressure
  • Type II diabetes
  • Heart disease

Iodine

Women are more prone to have thyroid issues compared to men. Due to such a high likelihood for women to have such issues, it is critical we get enough Iodine in order to make sure our thyroid is making enough hormones and regulates our metabolism, body temperature and more.

Thyroid issues include hypothyroidism of hyperthyroidism, each having different effects on women. By getting a sufficient amount of Iodine, we can help prevent these conditions.

Iron

Because we get periods, women are vulnerable to iron deficiencies. If we don’t get enough we can become anemic, which means having a low red blood cell count. Anemia can cause extreme fatigue, shortness of breath, dizziness, brittle nails, and a sore, swollen tongue.

Risks that are associated with a lack of Iron can include, but aren’t limited to:

Heart issues

Pregnancy problems

Depression

Increased risk of infection

…and the last vitamin we’re going to discuss today, although there are more women are commonly lacking, is Vitamin B-12.

Vitamin B-12 can be easily found in dairy products, which makes this deficiency especially concerning for those who cannot consume dairy or choose not to. In this case, it is critical these women are aware of the vitamins they may be lacking and actively getting them with supplements instead.

Risks that are associated with a lack of Vitamin B-12 can include, but aren’t limited to:

Anemia (as we saw with an Iron deficiency)

Depression

Memory loss

Loss of taste and smell

Women face many health issues, many of which cannot be prevented or controlled. However, for those that we have some power in fighting off, we must take that extra action in order to ensure we protect ourselves. We can do this by being aware of the vitamins we may be lacking. 

If you are curious about your levels, ask your doctor for a blood test.

Let’s make sure we are giving our bodies what they need ladies!

Want to learn more?

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

Cover | Gif graphics by Giphy

Boston-based twenty-something who's a self-proclaimed Bloody Mary connoisseur and Billy Joel karaoke aficionado.