Riley Keough in Daisy Jones and the Six
Riley Keough in Daisy Jones and the Six
Lacey Terrell/Prime Video
Style > Fashion

5 Ways To Emulate The Iconic Fashion In ‘Daisy Jones & The Six’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

‘Daisy Jones & The Six’ is more than just a show. It’s a vibe, a feeling, and a style statement. It’s about the music, the drama, and the fashion. The show takes us on a journey back to the 70s, a time when fashion promoted self-expression and freedom. The era was all about breaking the rules and making a statement, and the fashion reflected just that.

The show perfectly captures the essence of the hippie era, whose fundamentals were peace, love, and happiness. The series pays full tribute to “The Summer of Love:” the affectionate term coined to describe 1967 when the media started documenting the hippie subculture. Phrases such as “make love, not war” and “flower power” are quintessential of the hipster-beat generation subculture of the early 1960s, which advocated for peaceful political protests in light of the Vietnam War. The fashion of the era was all about expressing oneself in a unique and individual way, and it still continues to inspire us to this day.

Here are 5 items you need to include in your spring/summer wardrobe to embody the hippie era and emulate the equally talented and stylish cast. 

Everything Bell

The wide-leg silhouette of bell-bottom pants elongates the legs and adds a playful, whimsical vibe to any outfit. When paired with a flowy, cottage-core blouse, you can create a romantic and feminine look that exudes boho-chic style. For a more dramatic effect, opt for a bell-sleeved dress that flows with the wind as you walk. Knee-high boots, whether in suede or leather, add an extra touch of sophistication and style to your outfit. You can also experiment with different patterns and textures, like paisley or crochet, to create a unique and personalized look that showcases your individuality. When choosing accessories, keep it simple and understated. A long pendant necklace or a stack of bangles can add a touch of bohemian flair without overpowering the rest of your outfit. By incorporating bell-bottom pants and bell sleeves into your wardrobe, you can effortlessly capture the essence of the 60s and 70s and create a look that is both timeless and trendy.

fringe it away

Fringe has been a staple in hippie fashion since the 1960s and continues to be a popular trend today. The beauty of fringe lies in its ability to add movement, texture, and depth to any outfit. From jackets to bags to skirts, fringe can be incorporated into virtually any garment. When channeling the style of Daisy Jones, a fringed vest or jacket is a must-have. Not only does it add a bohemian touch to your look, but it also creates a statement piece that can be the focal point of your outfit. Pair your vest or jacket with a simple top and jeans to balance out the fringe. A white tee or tank top and a pair of high-waisted jeans create a classic and effortless look. You can also play with colors and textures to create a unique and personalized outfit. For example, a black fringed jacket with a metallic tank top and distressed jeans would make a bold and edgy look. The key is choosing pieces that complement each other and fit your style. By incorporating fringe into your outfit, you can capture the free-spirited energy of the 70s and create a look that is both timeless and trendy.

let your hair down

Long hair with volume is not only a nod to the 70s but also a pendulum swing from the sleek and polished bobs that have been recently trending, as seen on celebrities like Hailey Bieber and Laura Harrier. The bohemian hairstyles in ‘Daisy Jones & The Six’ offer a refreshing twist from the structured, minimalist hairstyles that have dominated the fashion scene. If you’re looking to switch up your hairstyle and add some 70s-inspired flair to your look, consider letting your hair down and embracing its natural volume for an undone yet glamorous style that exudes confidence and effortless style.

accessorize!

Headbands and scarves were not just a fashion statement during the hippie era. They were also a symbol of peace and love. Often adorned with floral prints, paisleys, and peace signs, these accessories added an eccentric touch to any outfit and were a way for the wearer to express their individuality and free spirit and to reject the rigid fashion norms of the time.

To achieve the Daisy Jones look, tie a scarf around your head or wear a headband with your hair in loose waves. Choose a headband or scarf that reflects your style and complements your outfit to make this look your own. Opt for a bold, patterned scarf for a more daring look or a simple, solid-colored headband for a more understated style. Pair this accessory with loose waves or a messy bun to complete the bohemian vibe. With this simple addition to your wardrobe, you can channel the free-spirited, carefree energy of the 70s!

maxi all the way

Maxi dresses have been a fashion staple since the 1970s, making them a quintessential part of any boho-inspired wardrobe. They’re perfect for warmer weather and outdoor events, providing comfort and style. With various prints and styles, you can easily find a maxi dress that fits your personal taste and fashion sense. To achieve the ‘Daisy Jones & The Six’ look, choose a bold print or bright color dress that reflects your individuality and flair. You can also experiment with different materials, such as cotton, linen, or silk, to add texture and dimension to your outfit. Pair your dress with platform shoes, like wedges or chunky sandals, to create height and elongate your silhouette. To complete the bohemian vibe, add a fringe jacket or vest for an extra layer of style and comfort. With these simple additions, you can effortlessly capture the carefree and whimsical energy of the 70s and channel the iconic style in ‘Daisy Jones & The Six.’

‘Daisy Jones & The Six’ serves as the perfect inspiration for anyone looking to add some 70s-inspired fashion to their wardrobe. By incorporating these five elements into your outfits, these items are sure to make you feel like a true rockstar!

Cecilia Sarantopoulos is the chapter leader and editor-in-chief of Her Campus at Brown University. She oversees the chapter's published content, social media presence, and brand deals. Beyond Her Campus, Cecilia is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Comparative Literature (focusing on English & French) and Theatre Arts. Her written work on culture and style has been featured in prestigious publications, such as Marie Claire Greece and Huffington Post Greece. Cecilia is also a classically trained ballerina and a published poet. In her free time, she stays updated with media trends and the current digital landscape, with a soft spot for all things Disney. Enjoying a warm cup of tea, engaging in water sports, and watching a classic rom-com round out her list of beloved pastimes.