Taking Time for Yourself—Mentally and Physically

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Sometimes you can get so overwhelmed with homework, friends, family, exercise, and your social life, that you forget what is really the most important: you. April is Stress Awareness Month, and it’s important to be aware of all the stress in your life so you can manage it in the best way for you. With finals coming up, there’s no better time than now!

Stop worrying about what other people are doing.

This may seem really hard to do, especially for people who overthink things a lot. Take it from an expert who overthinks everything—once you start focusing on yourself, you will realize how great the things you do are, and can stop caring about what others think of you. Reflect on your accomplishments and be happy with all that you’ve done this past year.

Friend trouble?

If they really care about you, they’ll be there for you when you need it most. I learned this the hard way, but it really opened the door to some friendships I would never have had otherwise. Sometimes you are so caught up in the friendships you’ve had for so long, that you don’t realize there are so many other people in the world to meet. Friendship problems can cause a lot of unneeded stress, but just remember that you only have a couple weeks left—so make the most of it!

Overwhelmed by all the work you haven’t done?

It’s really hard to stay focused this time of year. Something that you can do that is helpful is to make a schedule either on a whiteboard or in an agenda book. Try setting aside some time during the day between classes and go to the library to catch up on work, so you don’t have to do as much later when your friends want to hang out. You could also try getting a head start on work you know you have coming up, so you won’t be overwhelmed when it’s due… but we all know that probably won’t happen. Procrastination, am I right?

Take time to do something outside!

It may seem impossible with your busy schedule, but one of the best things you can do for yourself is to get some fresh air. Whether it’s throwing a Frisbee with a friend, going on a run, or hanging out on the Greenspace, get outside and get active!

Good luck with these last few weeks of classes and finals, Falcons!

Images: 1 / 2

Allison Weed

Bentley '20

Allison Weed is a senior at Bentley University. She is majoring in Marketing with minors in Information Design and Corporate Communication, and International Affairs. She is the President and Campus Correspondent of the Bentley University Her Campus Chapter. 
Hi, my name is Molly! I'm currently the Co-President and a Campus Correspondent for Bentley University's HC chapter.