Wellness > Mental Health

Turn Self-Care Sundays into Self-Care Every Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

College is hard. College is hard to handle. I say these things as a Biology Pre-Med student, sitting on the floor studying for three tests and a midterm, all occurring in the next few days. Stress is not a new concept to most college students, no matter their classification or major. Many of us look to combat the weight of college life by slapping on a face mask and taking a bath. We must ask ourselves, though, if taking one or two hours out of the 168 in a week to do “self-care” is enough? Can that magic mask really erase the tears, frustrated sighs, and eyebags collected from a week of juggling classes and a social life? I don’t think so.

I used to be the type of person that would reach my stress threshold at the end of the week, and decide I needed “Self-Care Sunday.” I would exfoliate my face, fluff my pillows, and paint my toes, but that was never enough. I would always feel a sense of impending dread afterward. Stress would just wash over me. Therefore, before I came back to campus this year, I made a promise to myself to start spending more time on my mental and physical wellness by practicing “self-care” every single day. These are some of the ways I combat stress, and improve my overall health, wellbeing, and happiness each and every day!

Drink at least 2 liters of water EVERY DAY

The summer before my freshman year at Baylor, I started committing to drinking at least eight glasses of water every day. Initially, this was to jumpstart my journey to being healthier (eight glasses is the minimum required by health officials). However, the more water I drank, the more energized I felt. Personally, I drink around a gallon of water a day, and feel fabulous! Hydration can make your skin look super glow-y, muscles feel less fatigued, and keep your kidneys hydrated (which makes BMs go super smooth and regular).

Take daily vitamins and probiotics

Vitamins are super super important! They can offer a little immune boost during sick season and ensure that your body is balanced and ready to go each day. I, also, recommend taking daily probiotics! Ladies, let’s be real. Your vagina is super sensitive and deserves some care, every now and then. Flora probiotics are just the thing to keep you feeling super balanced, and ward off yeast/bacterial infections! 

Talk about your day and be social

As college students, we carry a lot through each day. There are so many feelings experienced through the day. We go through heartaches, anxiety, and moments of pure joy. Sh*t happens, and it feels good to vent about your day to someone. My roommates and I like to sit in our living room to reflect on various classes, talk about boys, and make each other laugh until we cry. A lot of times, after I have had a really tough day, getting to giggle with my sweet friends helps me fall asleep with a smile. It is so important to surround yourself with people who can always lift you up and hug you when you are down. Even if you want to hold things in, I promise if you share with someone, your heart won’t feel as heavy. 

Reflect and meditate

A small amount of self-reflection every day can turn your life around. Meditation can help form a daily structure, determine talents, and create goals. Take five or 10 minutes every day to take an inward look at yourself. Go through your day and reflect on the ways you were constructive, while also seeking out ways you can deal with future experiences in a positive light. Then, look toward the next day and make small goals for yourself. Lastly, take a minute to just empty your mind and release the things you are worried or stressed about. I like to do this activity right before I go to sleep. I really enjoy decompressing at the end of the day in this way. Self-reflection has allowed me to take a happier outlook on my life and encouraged me to make more small-term goals for myself. 

Make time to do activities you love

Being a student is not a personality trait or hobby. Yes, you go to school, but you are also an individual person with a special personality and external joys. You NEED to make time for doing something you like every day. For example, I love to be creative. I take time to paint, write or take photos every day. Doing a little of what you love every day can make you feel calm and at ease by allowing you to focus on a specific action while also distracting you from outer stressors. Do it! Even if you take thirty minutes to do nothing but watch your favorite Netflix original, just do it! 

Prioritize your health, well-being, and self-care

No matter how busy you get, make yourself a priority. Sometimes you need to say no to friends, studying, and even class (yes, I am serious). I am absolutely not saying you should ditch class, never study, and lose your friends. I am, however, saying that your wellbeing is important. Sometimes you need a mental health day or some alone time. You should absolutely take that time in order to get back to your best self. Your friends will definitely understand, your books can wait, and missing one class will not kill your grade. Make you a priority.

Self-care is so important, but one day a week will not cut it. You can totally keep doing facemasks and running a bath every Sunday, if you want to, but you need to dedicate time and energy every single day to your Self-Wellness. I really encourage you to implement a new self-care routine throughout your day. Drink your water and meditate. I promise you will recognize a new kind of happiness emitting itself from your core!

Jacobi Reynolds is a photographer and senior Pre-medical Biology student at Baylor University. She is from Henrietta, Texas, just south of the Oklahoma and Texas border. When she is not studying or taking photos, she enjoys exploring new places, painting, and spending time with friends and family. Her favorite things are the color pink, dogs, pizza and going to the movies.