stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Waiting for Change: The Gym Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Recently, I discovered that I had some pretty serious health issues that were preventing my body from absorbing any nutrients, which in turn kept me from being able to keep any weight or muscle on. I went from a lean 157 pounds at the end of my freshman year of college to 112 in the beginning of my junior year. Some people dream of this, but I was not one of those people.

A lot of people said “Wow I wish losing weight was my problem” and yeah, you may until it happens because you aren’t healthy and can’t gain it back.

I had been spending weeks in the gym lifting weights, running, eating healthy, and just trying to make gains, but nothing was working. I didn’t really notice how small I was getting because I was never one to step on the scale. I knew that number on the screen didn’t mean that I was in shape.

One day, I decided to go try on wedding dresses and it hit me. The strong body I had been looking at in the mirror for years just wasn’t there anymore. I looked like a little kid playing dress up, and not in a cute sentimental way. Around that time, the health issues came to light. I started a new diet and vitamin regimen, and decided I was going to throw myself in the gym and get my body back.

Days turned into weeks, which turned into months and mostly frustration at the little change I was feeling and feeling. But I tried to keep with it and kept lifting and kept eating my protein bars and following my new diet. Then, slowly, and I do mean slowly, things started to happen.

My jeans stopped sagging in weird places, my shirts stopped swallowing me whole, and I felt strong again. I was actually starting to look like me again.

Actually seeing differences didn’t come until this week. I started working out in December.

It’s interesting when you get to see changes in your own body. It’s kind of like a present to you from you because you love you every day.

Don’t get me wrong. There are days I don’t want to exercise, like when I don’t have time or motivation to go to the gym. However, one thing I have noticed is that a little bit everyday helps. Even if you do calf raises in the shower, it’ll help in the long run. Drinking a bottle of water instead of Dr. Pepper can help too. It’s the small changes that have a lasting effect.

Everyone has their own reasons for getting in the gym and working on their bodies. Some do it for the gram, the beach, revenge, or yourself. Whatever your motivation, just stick with it because I promise you it’ll be worth it in the end.

Regardless of where everyone starts and finishes, we are all beautiful, strong people, and there’s nothing wrong with taking care of your body just like your mind.

The most important thing about this entire article is that even when the changes are small and slow, love them, and more importantly, love yourself. 

Source: 

https://giphy.com/gifs/nicki-minaj-anaconda-1441zlMyzrOs9y

gym.jpg

Kaitlyn Reavis

App State '18

Kaitlyn is a senior at Appalachian State majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Political Science.  Kaitlyn is the President of Her Campus App State as well as one of the Campus Correspondents.  She's also the president of App's Ducks Unlimited chapter, and a member of Sigma Alpha Lambda, which is the communication honors society, and a member of Collegiate Republicans. She's moved by her love for this country and the way it works. She hopes to one day be a part of what makes it work be it in politics or campaign management and research. In her free time Kaitlyn coaches’ softball, reads, obsesses over her 6 dogs (yes you read that right), and enjoys being surrounded by the people she loves. She hopes to turn her stories into a book one day but until then... "Never settle for bad coffee, bad friends, or bad men."