This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

If I have learned anything about living through a pandemic, it is how important nature is to me. I found that being outdoors helped me find a lot of peace throughout a time of constant stress and fear. I believe that since this month is dedicated to celebrating the earth, I can help others by informing them of the health benefits they can get by being outdoors.

woman in field full of lavender
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

Mental Health

Being outside in nature has been proven to help people who are struggling with depression and anxiety. Nature is known to have certain calming benefits that bring your heart rate down instantly just by going outside. In my research, I found that being outdoors and hearing calming sounds like water running, birds chirping, and wind rustling the leaves, makes a person’s blood pressure go down and lessens the stress hormone called cortisol. Looking at the beautiful scenery that surrounds us when we go outside also produces a calming effect because it takes our mind off of what may be going on that makes us stressed out. Another reason that being outdoors is so good for us is the fact that it allows us a chance to be disconnected from our technology. Without technology, we get a break from things that can be harmful to our self-esteem like social media. Taking the time to unwind shouldn’t mean scrolling on social media for an hour. That isn’t really unwinding because it doesn’t create a positive mindset all of the time. Going outside for a walk, run, or even just to sit and enjoy the fresh air, creates a positive space where you don’t have to think about anything except for the beauty around you.

person stretching outside in sun
Photo by Radu Florin from unsplash

Going outside for a walk, run, or even just to sit and enjoy the fresh air, creates a positive space where you don’t have to think about anything except for the beauty around you.

Physical Health 

There are many physical benefits of nature that are helpful to people who want to maintain good health. As many people know, stress and anxiety can have negative effects on the body. Getting outside lowers blood pressure, lowers your heart rate, reduces muscle tension, and lowers the production of stress hormones like cortisol. As someone who deals with stress and anxiety, I have seen the negative effects it can have on my body, but I have also seen the positive impact that being outdoors has had in reducing my stress and anxiety levels. When we are super stressed, our body’s immune system becomes suppressed, causing us to be more vulnerable to illnesses. That’s why it is important to take time out of your day to do something that is good for your body.

Girl holding heart in sunset
Photo by Hassan OUAJBIR from Pexels

Getting outside lowers blood pressure, lowers your heart rate, reduces muscle tension, and lowers the production of stress hormones like cortisol.

Another important health benefit of being outside is the positive impacts of Vitamin D on our bodies. Vitamin D, the sunshine vitamin, helps our bodies fight against illness, reduce depression, and promote weight loss. Vitamin D also helps regulate the calcium and phosphate in our bodies which is important for our bones, teeth, and muscles. Vitamin D has also been proven to lengthen the duration of sleep for those who suffer from sleep disorders. Getting outside and soaking up the sun for about 10 to 30 minutes multiple times a week can give you the right amount of Vitamin D that your body needs. Midday sunlight is the best when it comes to getting just the right amount of Vitamin D. Just make sure to apply sunscreen!

Woman smiling in sunflower field
Photo by Eye for Ebony from Unsplash

It is more important now than ever to get outside and enjoy all of the benefits that being in nature has to offer. Living in a pandemic is not easy whatsoever because of the stress and fear that these times come with. Many of us have probably been searching for something to relieve the symptoms of ongoing stress and anxiety. Maybe the answer is something as simple as going on a walk outside. Below are a list of outdoor activities that you may find appealing:

• Going for a bike ride

• Going canoeing or paddleboarding

• Creating artwork outside

• Going for a run

• Going for a walk with a friend or your dog 

• Playing a sport outdoors

• Going skateboarding

• Playing an instrument outdoors

• Doing yoga outside

• Going for a hike

• Going swimming in a waterfall or nearby lake

Madison Lipe

App State '23

Hi! I'm a senior journalism major here at App State with a minor in marketing. I'm from Denver, NC, which is a suburb outside of Charlotte, NC. I enjoy writing lifestyle pieces and I've been writing for HerCampus for three years.