Wellness

Spring Clean Your Mind: How to De-Stress During the Most Anxious Time of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Winter is finally coming to an end, and even though you might be looking forward to spring weather, some of the most difficult days of the semester are approaching. To-do lists are overflowing and overwhelming, and when you look at your calendar it can feel like you’re all gas and no breaks- especially with one day off from class instead of a real spring break this year.

Right now, it can feel like you’re missing out on one of the hallmarks of the college experience in spring break, and it adds to the disappointment you’ve experienced during the pandemic that this has been taken away.

For upperclassmen, there’s only so much time left before graduation, and you might feel the pressure of trying to make the most of your time, while also preparing yourself fully for your future endeavors in the real world. It can be stressful to think about these things and even more stressful to do something about them.

Sometimes the best thing you can do for yourself is to ask for help. Let’s be honest, a lot of us don’t like to do this, but it can be the first step in the right direction and maybe even make the load a little easier to deal with. Here are a few more ways to stay calm this spring. 

Plan to meet with someone. 

This can be counselors, the Career Center, advisors, or even parents and friends. 

UA has free counseling sessions that you can schedule to meet with someone if you want to talk. Counselors are a good source for help in dealing with an onslaught of emotions. Talking with a third party can be really beneficial to give unbiased advice or even talking with a close friend about your struggles can be helpful. Sometimes we don’t need someone to tell us how to solve a problem. Sometimes we need someone to just let us know that they hear us. 

The Career Center is a great place to start if you have any concerns about the professional world, ranging from internship advising, to resume and cover letters, or even just talking about changing your major and what would be the best fit for you. You can make an appointment about anything.

Advisors are great for scheduling your classes, but they have so many other resources too. Getting to know your advisor and building a relationship with them is great because they can help you network and point you in the direction of opportunities you didn’t know you wanted to take. 

Take time for yourself.

A lot of times, you can get caught up in the wave of things that need to be accomplished during the week and get set on autopilot. You can bypass the things you need to help you function better mentally and physically. Even just taking five minutes to sit down and take a break in the midst of a busy day, taking a long shower, or reading a chapter of a new book can be so beneficial. Little things like this can help refocus and regroup your mind.

Self-care doesn’t have to be a big event that demands time out of your schedule to complete. It shouldn’t feel like a chore. Drinking one more glass of water than you normally do, making yourself a coffee, or even adding a face mask to your routine at night can help you tackle the day, and that’s what self-care is supposed to do. You’re relieving stress and taking the time to do something that makes you happy.

Compartmentalize.

Focusing on one thing at a time is key to getting things done. If you’re looking at everything on your to-do list at once, you can get overwhelmed and push it all aside. One task at a time shortens the amount of work to do in one setting and makes the process go by so much faster.

Writing what you have to do down in a planner can be helpful for people who tend to be forgetful as well as to keep track of assignments and due dates. Having all of your tasks in one place can prevent extra stress.

Whatever it may be, know that there are ways to lighten your load and make you feel more at ease when it comes to the rest of the semester and that we have your back! 

Hey! My name is Kathryn and I'm a Junior Sports Media Major from Dallas, Texas! I'm so excited that I get to write for HerCampus this semester! I'm a big hockey fan and aspire to work for an NHL team one day (preferably the Dallas Stars). When I'm not writing for HerCampus, you can catch me covering Crimson Tide Basketball over at Gameday UA, and every Thursday from 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. on 90.7 the Capstone, where you can listen to some fun music and hear me chat about life, college, and sports!
Alabama Contributor