nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

If You’re Looking For A Sign, This Is It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

I try so hard to make people feel better but I know from experience that you can’t help anyone who doesn’t want to help themselves. If you’re looking for a sign not to hurt yourself, this is it.

Even if it feels like you’ll never laugh again, please stick around. Someone will be crushed if they never get to hear your laugh again. Don’t just stay alive for other people, stay alive for you. It’s not fair to you to give up on happiness and let the darkness win.

Just because you’re in the abyss and struggling doesn’t mean you aren’t strong. If I can make it out more than once then so can you. I cannot stress enough how much waiting for the pain to end will be worth it. The sun will shine again one day and so will you.

If you think I’m just spewing hogwash I understand, I admit at times I thought that way too. But you have to trust me. You’ll survive this, and you’ll be glad you did.

The warmth of the sun on your skin, the butterflies in your stomach from getting a compliment from the person you like, there are so many reasons to stay alive. If you kill yourself you and the world will lose much more than just a life.

To anyone who doesn’t know the pain I’m talking about, please be kind to everyone you meet because you don’t know who is hiding their hurt. It’s impossible to describe and incredibly difficult to express. If you’re struggling please know that you’re not alone and if you’re not struggling please be there for those who are.

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.