Scottish University of the Year 2019!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

https://www.findamasters.com/masters-degrees/browsebydept.aspx?IID=2

There is an air of jubilation and pride around campus this week, as the university saw its best performance in league tables since 2012. The University of Aberdeen was named Scottish University of the Year in the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019, and climbed 27 places in the Times Higher Education World University Ranking to 158th place (3rd in Scotland and 22nd in the UK). It seems therefore only fitting to have a look at what makes Aberdeen such an amazing place to live and study.

Founded in 1495, Aberdeen University is Scotland’s 3rd oldest university and the UK’s 5th oldest. Old Aberdeen boasts a beautiful campus steeped in history, seamlessly combined with everything a modern day campus should have from the well stocked Sir Duncan Rice library to 24 hour study spaces, there are hundreds of tiny rooms and impressive lecture theatres, not to mention that with the latest addition of the Union Brew there are now two on-campus bars!

We have amassed some pretty impressive alumni over the years; from the Hon Lord Bracadale QC, Judge of the Supreme Court, Scotland (who studied an MA here before pursuing a career in law after a brief stint as an English teacher), and Frank Mulholland QC, Lord Advocate for Scotland (who graduated from Aberdeen with an LLB in 1981) to Gordon Cameron the Pixar animator who helped create ‘Finding Nemo’, ‘Ratatouille’, and even ‘Toy Story’ after graduating from Aberdeen with an honours degree in Computing Sciences, and Iain Glen perhaps best known for his part in Game of Thrones (and who doesn’t love Ser Jorah?). It doesn’t stop there, research at Aberdeen has resulted in 5 Nobel Prize winners, including the discovery of insulin, and the university has been honoured with the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education in recognition of world-leading research into health economics and health services.

Not just a great place to study, you’ll fall in love with life in Aberdeen. Dubbed ‘The Granite City’ there’s plenty of striking granite architecture, however over a quarter of the land is actually open space including gardens and parks, Aberdeen has been awarded the prestigious Britain in Bloom award a record-breaking 10 times! From 13th century bridges and award-winning Japanese gardens, to quirky second-hand book shops that serve lunch and dolphin watching at the harbour, Aberdeen has a rich tapestry of culture and charm.

Personally I cannot imagine anywhere I’d rather study, but don’t just take my word for it – the 2018 National Student Survey demonstrated outstanding student satisfaction ranking in The Complete University Guide top ten for: Anatomy & Physiology (#10), Civil Engineering (#9), Drama, Dance & Cinematics (#5), General Engineering (#10), Law (#5) and Linguistics (#3).

Second year Theology and Religious Studies student at the University of Aberdeen.