This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Mental health is a topic which is now being discussed more openly, which is so important. Figures show that 1 in 4 people experience a mental health problem every year, and although awareness is increasing, enough is still not being done. Mental health issues, particularly anxiety and depression, are common amongst university students, and many students have reported feeling unable to complete daily tasks, such as keeping up with their Uni work. I think as much as possible needs to be done to help students learn how to help themselves. 

From my own experience, I can vouch for how daunting it can be to seek help, or even admit to yourself that there is something you need to face up to. I knew I needed help, but didn’t get any for a long time (and it wasn’t even on purpose – a conveniently timed panic attack at the doctors for a different appointment made it so my doctor saw quite how extreme my anxiety was first hand).

My anxiety is definitely still prominent in my life, but I have started taking the steps to help me feel better, which is one of the most important things. Alongside the medical and professional help that you can use, there are a number of simple techniques that I have found can help with coping in everyday life, whilst dealing with anxiety or depression. They can be used to work alongside your other treatments, to try if you are not yet ready to talk to your GP or a counsellor, or just if you feel anxious or stressed in life, generally. This is some very simply everyday advice, but has proved useful, and I really hope it helps.

Everyday techniques for dealing with anxiety:

1. An anxiety journal – This is one of the most useful ways of coping, I have found, when it comes to my anxiety, and I can’t recommend it enough! Make your journal your own personal project, and put anything in it that you want to! Include things like notes on how you’re feeling, quotes you find inspiring, drawings/paintings, diary style inputs etc.  Artistic skill/ creativity is not needed for this technique to work, just use the journal as a place to vent in whichever way feels right for you. Not only is creative output, in any form, proven to help reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression, you can also look back on your work as a journey through your condition – and eventually look back on how far you’ve come.

2. Exercise – When you feel anxious or down it can be really hard to motivate yourself to do anything, but getting yourself up and doing some exercise is one of the best ways to help. The endorphin release that happens when you exercise helps reduce feelings of anxiety and stress, and generally gives you a boost of good feeling. Exercise can also be a really effective distraction technique. Forget your anxieties for an hour or so, and simply play your favourite music on top volume while you focus on your feet hitting the ground as you run/ count how many reps you can do/ see how far you can cycle.

3. Being with friends – It sounds so obvious, but one of the main problems with anxiety is that bad thoughts really flare up when you’re alone as your mind gets a chance to fixate on negative thoughts. Make sure you have at least one or two close friends who you can rely on to be there for you when you feel this way to help get you out of the negative thought cycle. It may be difficult at first letting people in and telling others about your mental health, but it really is so beneficial. (This is especially important at Uni, as being away from home and family can be difficult when struggling with anxiety or depression. Finding someone to be your home from home will really help).

4. Find a place to go when your anxiety flares up –  Having a change of scenery can be so important when it comes to anxiety. Feeling trapped in your bedroom can be really damaging when you’re in a bad place, and sometimes your body needs space to be able to relax and calm your mind. We’re so lucky in Nottingham to have many beautiful green spaces close to us. I personally find it so calming to go to Wollaton and sit by the lake, letting myself get some fresh air and clear my mind.

5. Plan ahead – Sometimes anxiety and depression leaves you feeling like you will never be good again, and it can be really hard to find the motivation to get up and go about your day to day life. To help combat this feeling, I find it really helpful to plan something to look forward to regularly, to give yourself some incentive in your day to day life. These plans can be so simple, such as dinner out with a friend, a film night, or a day trip, anything that helps to keep your mind aware that you do have good things going on.

I really hope anyone reading this who may be struggling at the moment finds some of these tips useful. Just remember that your mental health is a journey, and it’s okay to not be okay – trying to help yourself through this is such an important first step!

Edited by: Amy Hawthorne

Sources:

http://www.boredpanda.com/anxiety-comics-funny-illustrations-gemma-correll/

http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/statistics-and-facts-about-mental-health/how-common-are-mental-health-problems/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2016/08/11/one-in-four-university-students-suffer-from-mental-health-proble/

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/exercise-fitness/emotional-benefits-of-exercise.htm

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/415879346824821702/