To keep life from getting you down, one of the most effective things you can do for yourself is dedicate time to proper self-care. You may have an avalanche of other responsibilities to attend to, whether it’s school or friends or work, but let’s be real: life’s going to suck unless you try to maintain your emotional and physical well-being through getting plenty of you time.
Don’t know where to start? Luckily, our favorite TV roommates—Nick, Schmidt and Winston—are chock-full of unexpected wisdom that we can keep in mind through all of life’s ups and downs. So the next time you’re in need of a little self-care, channel your inner New Girl bros and get ready to love yourself.
1. Spice up your daily routine with plenty of self-affirmation.
2. Treat yourself to your favorite things on a regular basis, no matter what they may be.
3. Give yourself plenty of time for rest and relaxation.
4. Like, whole days of it, if necessary.
5. Free yourself of societal expectations and let your freak flag fly.
6. Never apologize for the things that make you happy.
7. Don’t get hung up on past mistakes. Apologize, pay penance or do whatever you need to do to let it go—then move on.
8. Embrace your sexuality and celebrate the sexy thang you are by wearing what you want, doing what you want and experimenting until you know just what you like.
9. Stop taking yourself so seriously by letting loose as often as possible, preferably at a loud volume.
10. Cleanse your life of any negative relationships you have with food. Remember: you shouldn’t deprive yourself of food you love.
11. However, if you do want to cut out some of your guilty-pleasure foods for a healthier lifestyle, take baby steps so you don’t get overwhelmed.
12. Channel your inner model whenever you feel like it. The world is your runway, beautiful.
13. Constantly remind yourself what an awesome dancer you are by breaking it down wherever you see fit.
14. Stay hydrated for a clear, happy mind.
15. Increase your day-to-day quality of life by maintaining relationships with adorable and/or fluffy animals. Even if they’re not your own.
16. Remember that your emotions are valid and deserve to be felt. You don’t always have to be okay.
17. Celebrate your talents and qualities without comparing yourself to others.
18. Remember that there’s always a light at the end of the tunnel.
19. Finally, treat yourself just as well as you treat the people you love… because you deserve it!