This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Murphy’s Law – anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

I’m sure you’ve come across this Negative Nancy of an expression at least once in your life. And to some extent, it rings true.

When you’re already running late and it starts to rain.

When you’re in line to buy one thing but that adorable senior citizen in front you has a full cart and is price matching.

When you’re doing course selection at 6am and have to enroll in a backup of a backup because your top two are full.

There are a lot of moments where I found myself giving into the devil on my shoulder. I told myself that I won’t get that opportunity, won’t be there in time, and won’t be happy at that place. I had panic attacks and gave a lot of weight to things that in reality, didn’t matter all too much. I was scared to take on a new path because I was almost certain it would be bad for me, instead of considering growth and possibility. And the worst part is that I assumed the worst before anything even happened, amplifying the pain that came when it actually did happen.

This year, I flipped the switch. I began to manifest positivity.

Now, what does “manifesting” mean? I know for many of you, it may seem like a spiritual buzzword that people who are too invested in astrology say more often than the word “the.”

Well for me, manifesting is simply believing. It’s not that “Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.” It’s more like, “Something good can happen, so something good can happen.” No expectations, no disappointment. A weight is lifted off your shoulders when you come to terms with the fact that life happens. And you are flying when you believe that good things are based on intention. In many ways, the energy you give out ends up being the energy you receive.

My family is Hindu and my mother told me about the Goddess of Wisdom named Saraswati. There is a belief that Saraswati resides on your tongue at one point in every day. Anything you say while she’s there will come true. This is why it is always good to speak positively. Don’t say, “I know I’m not going to do well on this assignment.” Say, “I tried my best and I know that hard work pays off.”

Now, I know what you’re thinking…this isn’t scientific! And maybe it’s not, everything doesn’t have to be. Wellness isn’t rooted in science, it’s rooted in humanity. Do what feels good for you, and always always ALWAYS practice gratitude. Thank the universe for giving you what you have, don’t get mad about the one thing that you don’t.

If you’re like me, manifesting positivity will change your perspective. It will help you find joy in the little things, beauty in the seemingly mundane, and of course, value in yourself.

So let’s stop thinking about the bad and start talking about the good. Being negative is so 2022.

Riya Bhatla was a part of Her Campus’ York University Chapter from 2020 to 2024. During her time at HCYU, she served as both a Writer and Campus Correspondent. She is now certified to teach high school in Ontario and is pursuing a Master's Degree at the University of Toronto! She is also contributing to a research project that is investigating the “lived experiences of the first Master’s degree recipients at a refugee camp in Dadaab, Kenya.” In her free time, Riya loves going on walks with her dog Kobe, bingeing Scandal, and going for Friday night Karaoke at a local pub.