Wellness

What is a Certified B Corporation and why are they so good?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Hello again!

I hope everyone is taking some time to decompress, as April can be a heavy time for students and it’s a heavy time for many right now with everything that is going on around us. With all of the chaos that seems to be constantly surrounding us nowadays, sometimes we need to take some extra time and special care for ourselves. This can be related to physical health, mental health, self care activities… anything that makes YOU feel good! Something to keep in mind while doing any of these activities is the reliability and sustainability of the brands you might be thinking about using. If your activity is self care, you may want to take some extra care at what is in your products. If you are looking to buy some new clothes, footwear or accessories, you might want to know a bit more about how they are manufactured. 

sign that has the earth on it that says "one world"
Photo by Markus Spiske from Pexels
Today I want to chat a bit about the reliability and sustainability of products and the brands themselves. What I really want to talk to you about are “Certified B Corporations”. You may have heard of this term before or maybe you have seen the symbol on some of your products. This is a small quote from the B Corporation website itself, “Certified B Corporations are businesses that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose” (https://bcorporation.net/about-b-corps). In shorter terms, a Certified B Corporation is legally bound to put the planet over their own profit. 

person holding a sign that says "planet over profit"
Photo by Markus Spiske from Unsplash
A Certified B Corporation will have a verified sustainable performance, legal accountability to withstand that performance and complete public transparency! Some brands and companies that are B Corp Certified are Toms, Patagonia, TenTree, Arbonne, Shea Moisture and The Body Shop. You may know or use some of the brands and companies listed here. To find out which products you are using or have bought are from a Certified B Corporation, there may be a small “B” logo with a circle around it and a horizontal line right under it or you can even search a specific brand on their website at https://bcorporation.net/directory. You can also do a search on this website of specific categories to possibly find a company that is certified for something you are specifically looking for. 

sign that says \"save our future\"
Photo by Markus Spike from Unsplash
At the end of the day these companies and brands are doing what we should all be striving to do, which is putting the planet before our own needs and profits. I hope you learned a little something new today and can now point out which products are reliable, safe and sustainable.

Have an amazing week and don’t forget to take care of yourself!

Hi, Im Jaden! I am a Bachelor of Science Psychology major at York University. I love to read, write, workout and crochet.
Feimoon is in her fourth and final year as an undergraduate student at York University, majoring in Communication Studies. She is passionate about traveling, fashion, beauty, writing and spreading positivity. She is now an Alumni of Delta Psi Delta, and past President. Now she focuses on being a Co-Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus York University chapter!