This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! I absolutely love the holidays, and by love, I mean LOVE the holidays. The music, the lights, the baked goods, the gifts, the Christmas Market pictures clogging up my Instagram feed…it’s my favorite season! I was the kid who came to school on the last day before the holiday break wearing an ugly sweater and a Santa hat. I was the kid who put up a Christmas tree in early December and refused to take it down until February. I was the kid who didn’t let anyone else wrap the gifts or make the cards because I was a little holiday perfectionist. And I guess I’m still that kid. That’s what makes the holiday season so special – it takes you back to a simpler time and makes you feel like a kid again.

people outside of christmas building
Photo by Hatice Yardim from Unsplash

But this year, the holidays are going to look a lot different. If you’re in Toronto or the GTA, chances are you’ll be in lockdown. No last-minute shopping at the mall, no get-togethers and no in-person Secret Santa gift exchanges. Many of us are not able to see our friends and family members, and for some of us, it will be our first holiday season without a loved one that was lost to COVID-19. This year really put things into perspective. A global pandemic, racial injustice and climate disasters, among many other things, has forced us to reevaluate who we are, how we live, and what kind of a world we want to be a part of.

blue bauble ornament on christmas tree
Photo by Aswathy N from Unsplash

This holiday season is different, but different doesn’t have to be bad. Without the hustle and bustle that we would normally be facing during this time, we get the chance to slow down and reflect. We discover what the true meaning of the holidays is. It isn’t about the gifts, the lights or the cookies. It’s about people.

three people standing on frozen lake near boats
Photo by Josie Lopez from Unsplash

Remember not to take anything or anyone for granted. We’ve seen how unpredictable life can be. We don’t know what the future has in store. All we really know is that there are people out there who matter to us and who we matter to. Don’t wait for them to be gone for you to come to this realization.

This holiday season, let’s do things differently. Let’s slow down. Let’s log off. Let’s actually spend time with the people we live with. Let’s give back. Let’s check up on those who may be struggling a little extra this year. Most importantly, let’s look at the silver lining.

Riya Bhatla has been a part of Her Campus’ York University Chapter since 2020. She is currently serving as Campus Correspondent where she oversees the publishing of articles, facilitates team-building opportunities, and supports the chapter in expanding their reach across campus. Beyond Her Campus, Riya works as a Peer Mentor Team Lead with the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies, where she provides social and academic support to incoming first year students. As a teacher candidate, she is also contributing to a research project that is investigating the “lived experiences of the first Master’s degree recipients at a refugee camp in Dadaab, Kenya.” In her free time, Riya loves going on walks with her dog Kobe, bingeing Scandal, and going for Friday night Karaoke at a local pub.
Feimoon is in her fourth and final year as an undergraduate student at York University, majoring in Communication Studies. She is passionate about traveling, fashion, beauty, writing and spreading positivity. She is now an Alumni of Delta Psi Delta, and past President. Now she focuses on being a Co-Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus York University chapter!