This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Having a daily routine can drastically impact your mood and productivity. It may seem silly when you think about it, but having the same few things to do every single day can help you feel more in tune with your reality and in control. These things will be different for everybody; you just have to decide what is important for you to feel good every day. In this article, I will share some of the things I try to do on a daily basis just to keep myself on track, keep up with work and relax!

1. Check Your Online Class System

The first thing I do everyday, and the thing I suggest all students do, is check your online class system. Even if you’re sure you don’t have anything to do, it doesn’t hurt to sit down for a few minutes and go through your class pages. I check if there’s any course announcements and make sure that there’s nothing imminent due.

2. Update Your Planner

This next point can be done in a few different ways. I always like to keep my planner updated. I sit down on Sunday and fill out my planner for the week and I check it everyday just to make sure I am on task and update it as I go throughout the week! 

3. Make Time for Leisure reading and writing

I am a big reader and writer, so making time for reading and writing is something that is important to me and makes me feel a bit better everyday. If I don’t have any time to read or write throughout the day, which happens very often because I’m either working on school work or working, I always take half an hour before I go to sleep to journal and read. This is also helpful to my routine because it gets me off my phone for a good amount of time before I go to sleep. 

4. get outside!

This next one is an important one. GET OUTSIDE! Yes, I’m yelling through words because it is something so simple yet so important. Whether you do some sort of physical activity, go for a walk, or grab a coffee, just try to get yourself outside every single day. Even if it’s cold outside, which I know it is right now, you will thank yourself when the fresh air hits you. 

5. exercise!

The last thing that I make a part of my daily routine is some sort of physical activity. I go to the gym, go for walks, or do yoga at home. Whatever it is, I try to move my body every single day. It’s a good routine to get into because it’s good for you in different ways, like your physical and mental health. If you can’t commit to going to the gym or hold down a rigorous routine, then try to get outside for a walk everyday. You can even incorporate something of your own that you like to do during your walk like listening to a podcast, music, an audiobook, or talking on the phone with a friend and catching up. 

In conclusion, your daily tasks that make up your routine may look very different from mine, but try making a list of things you’d like to do everyday and once you start accomplishing that, you will feel so much more in control and productive.

Hi, Im Jaden! I am a Bachelor of Science Psychology major at York University. I love to read, write, workout and crochet.