This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

It’s the beginning of a new year (and decade) and we’re not well into the first few weeks of 2020. A lot happened in 2020, some good and some not so good, but we continue to move on as we delve deeper into this new year. You might be asking yourself, “What’s so good about a new year?” It can mean new beginnings, new opportunities, new experiences and so much more. Need a little help figuring out what to be excited about this year? Read on for some things to look forward to this 2020.

New Movies

If you’re an avid movie-goer, you have lots of things to be excited for this year. Disney will continue its streak of live-action remakes this year with the release of Mulan (March 27). If you’re not tired of superhero movies just yet, Marvel will return to cinemas with Black Widow (May 1) and Eternals (November 6), DC presents Gal Gadot’s return in Wonder Woman 1984 (June 5). Daniel Craig will reprise his role as Agent 007 for the last time in No Time To Die (April 8). John Krasinksi will follow up his hit debut release with A Quiet Place Part II (March 20). If you’re looking for movies that are completely new and fresh, I recommend keeping an eye out for The Invisible Man (February 28), Pixar’s Soul (June 19) and Christopher Nolan’s Tenet (July 17) to name a few.    

New TV Shows

If you’re more of a stay at home and binge a whole series kind of gal, this is for you. Fans of TV dramas like Big Little Lies may like Little Fires Everywhere (March 18), based on the book of the same name by Celeste Ng, starring Kerry Washington and Reese Witherspoon both behind and in front of the camera. Stephen King’s 2018 best-selling twisted horror mystery The Outsider (January 12) will be retold as an HBO miniseries. Additionally, fans of The Haunting of Hill House can look forward to its follow up, The Haunting of Bly Manor based on horror story The Turn of The Screw. Disney+ will expand its roster of TV series with the release of MCU related TV shows such as The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (TBA) and WandaVision (TBA), along with the second installment to The Mandalorian (TBA) series. Schitt’s Creek (January 7) releases its final season this year as well. Other returning shows include Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Doctor Who, Bojack Horseman and Lizzie McGuire. 

New Music

In this month alone, several artists have already been teasing new music on their social media. Justin Bieber started off 2020 by releasing his new single, “Yummy” after featuring on several tracks last year. Five years after her previous album, Selena Gomez releases Rare (January 10). Mac Miller’s family has announced the release of Circles (January 17), a posthumous album that was intended to be a companion to 2018’s Swimming which was released a month before the artist passed away. Halsey is also releasing her third studio album entitled Manic, her first non-concept album which she explains is written during her manic state of bipolar disorder. Paramore frontwoman Hayley Williams is set to release her first solo project under the name Petals for Armor. The next few months will see new music from Tame Impala (The Slow Rush),  The 1975 (Notes on a Conditional Form), Kesha (High Road) and BTS (Map of the Soul: 7). Meanwhile, other artists that are set to make a comeback this year include 2020 Coachella headliner Frank Ocean, Adele, Rihanna, SZA and Kendrick Lamar.

It’s A Leap Year

You might think that there’s nothing to be thrilled about having an extra day in the year. However, this is completely exciting for people with birthdays and anniversaries on the 29th day of February. If you have nothing to do that day, why not relax and watch 2010 rom-com Leap Year starring Amy Adams if you have the chance.

Lots of Major Sports Events

The Summer Olympics will once again take place this year and this time, Japan is hosting. This year, new sports have been established in the games including Karate, skateboarding, baseball, sports climbing and surfing. The UEFA European Football Championship will tour all over Europe this summer along with South America’s Copa América. Baseball fans can look forward to a “Field of Dreams” inspired game between the New York Yankees and the Chicago White Sox in August. And while it’s still too early to know who’ll play against each other in the Superbowl, you can at least look forward to a halftime show from Jennifer Lopez and Shakira.

It’s A New Decade

2020 marks the start of this new decade and so much can happen within that time. There’ll be new trends to be set and new issues to tackle, along with the existing ones. You’ll have new experiences, celebrate new milestones, and meet new people in your life. Maybe you’re graduating this year and finally start your career or maybe you’ll have amazing travels in the future. It may not always be smooth sailing but we can continue to work towards our goals and hope for better things.

It’s always nice to have things to look forward to and be excited about, especially when we get sucked up in our daily routines and responsibilities. I hope you continue to find joy and favor no matter where life takes you in the years to come.

Dianne Victor is a Communication Studies student with a passionate flair for the creative arts. Currently in her third country of residence, she loves to explore the city and find new hidden gems.
Averie Severs is one of the Her Campus CC's for the York U chapter. She is a film production major with a focus in documentary filmmaking.