Wellness > Health

The Top 4 Tips for University Students with Chronic Pain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Navigating student life while living with chronic pain can be turbulent at times. The university experience is typically not designed for students with disabilities. Chronic pain is often invisible and can be an isolating experience.

Still, there are ways to make it more manageable while making the most of your time as a student. Through much trial and error, I’ve found 5 essential pieces to surviving university that can be helpful to a student living with chronic pain or similar conditions.

Take breaks when needed

It can feel like there is pressure to complete your degree in the expected four years. But taking full course loads can be overwhelming and impossible to handle. Seeing other students taking extra courses to get ahead can be discouraging while you feel like you’re falling behind. Know that there is no rush to complete a four-year time limit. If you can’t take a full course load, try dropping a course or two.

A great time to make up for missed credits during the year is with summer courses. University should not only be a time for education but also to grow as an individual, make connections and become a part of a community. If taking some time off allows you to have these experiences, you won’t be falling behind. You’ll be taking just the right amount of time you need.

Don’t be afraid to ask for help

You are your own best advocate. Don’t hesitate to ask for help and utilize the resources available to you through your campus. Arrange to get accommodations in your courses such as note sharing, extra test time and flexible deadlines. If you require physical support in your classes or more accessibility to buildings, contact the administration to get help and find solutions. 

It’s no easy feat to speak up for yourself, especially when getting accommodations that can require loads of paperwork and energy. But, it will be worth it in the long run once you have the help you need set up for you for the following years.

Find a support system

Living with chronic pain can be mentally, emotionally and physically draining. When you don’t have anyone else in your life with similar experiences to understand, it can feel lonely. Finding people that can support you through your pain and be a shoulder to lean on can help relieve some of the hard feelings. A family member or friend might be able to be there for you if you need help with physical tasks like cleaning, help to advocate for you or just to have someone there. 

Most campuses offer personal counselling to students which could be an affordable and accessible option for your time as a student. There is also support off-campus that can be found like a therapist and chronic pain support groups. Finding a balance between the mind and body can be challenging but by finding the right support it doesn’t have to be something you navigate alone.

Find what works best for your body

It can feel like going on a never-ending journey trying to find different ways to relieve your pain. Having a heat pack on hand can be comforting and help calm some pain while studying or resting after a long day of classes. Taking a hot bath with Epsom salts is also a great way to unwind. While physical exercises such as cardio and weight lifting may not be realistic to do, other activities like yoga and stretching could be gentle ways to move your body and release tension. 

It isn’t just physical movement that counts, but also taking care of your well-being. Trying meditation or journaling may help to calm a busy and stressed mind. Don’t forget to eat well. Certain foods can help relieve inflammation in your body and can help promote good health. If cooking every day isn’t something you have time for or can handle physically, try meal prepping to be prepared for busy and bad pain days.

Create a schedule to organize your time

For most people with chronic pain, there are often weekly appointments for physical therapy, counseling, and other treatments to attend. Trying to schedule different appointments around class time, studying, and getting involved on campus can be overwhelming. Making a detailed calendar to organize your schedule can be the key to managing your time. Don’t skip over scheduling rest and self-care time, or you may burn yourself out. 

Even though a schedule can help you plan ahead, it doesn’t mean you have to live by it strictly. Be compassionate towards yourself in the case of a pain flare-up and be flexible enough to move around your schedule when taking care of your body.

Everyone’s experience with chronic pain is different and what works for one person may not work for the next. For living with chronic pain, you are probably stronger than you think you are. Even though your pain is unique to you, there are other students out there facing the same challenges and obstacles as you are. Try using these tips to take care of yourself and get the help that you need and deserve. You are not alone.

Mara is a third-year student at York University's Glendon Campus in the International Studies Program. As an avid reader herself, she is delighted to be writing with Her Campus York U to motivate and empower the community. In her spare time, Mara enjoys doing yoga and playing the piano.