photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Poetry: happIness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Happiness seems to be everyone’s ultimate goal. We often associate happiness with people, places and things — that if we get the love of that one person, and live in that one amazing spot we’ve always wanted to live in, and that if we have the six figures in that bank account that we well know we deserve, only then we will be happy. Have you ever paused and thought for a second that happiness comes from you, that you’re the instrument through which happiness originates from? Discovering this was a journey, so here are a few poems from the many bumpy rides I have had — hope it’s not such a bumpy ride for you!

Heart craft

yesterday’s night,

I held scissors and

I cut a heart out of cardboard,

gave it a shower,

tucked it to bed,

sang to it a couple happy beats

and buried it in my chest.

happIness

Happiness was always plural in my mind,

there had to be a he, a she, a they, an it,

but as time passed,

I began to realize that

happiness grows in us,

and that it is a singular “I”.

Lesson

Sometimes, the cost of happiness

we pay is worse than

the pain of sadness we gain.

Dear happiness,

I’ll text you when things get better.

I know you see yourself somewhere in my story,

and I do miss smiling with you,

dancing with you,

breathing air

and having it feel good,

but you know how much hesitance gets to me,

that even if I wanted to feel you,

I would want to also pack everything and run away.

I want you to know that it’s okay if you don’t get the things you want, that’s it’s okay if you don’t have such a strong grasp on happiness or what happiness is. Life is a self-discovery journey, and what’s so fun about jumping into the known anyways? Jumping into the unknown is the real courage — believing that happiness is in your hands is the real courage. Be courageous, tuck your heart with some happy beats tonight!

Full-time psychology student, part- time poet. In love with words since the age of 11. Enjoys expressing myself and talking about things that matter.
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.