This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

University life can be described in two simple words, a balancing act. While graduate school may seem daunting, it’s a unique experience that’s significantly rewarding nonetheless. Having successfully completed one term of my English MA degree, I have gained a few insights on how to be better prepared to meet the demands of grad school and how to prosper amid the chaos.

1. Learn How and When You Work Best

There is no sugar coating the fact being a graduate student comes with an abundance of work; you will need more than a few late-night coffee binges to keep up to speed. Find a secure and comforting space where you can think clearly and work efficiently. After securing a space that you are happy to be in, the rest will fall into place. I’ve found that my surroundings often set the tone for my work hours. Productivity comes in waves; with some trial and error you will discover the times that you are most productive and the times where you find your mind wandering the most. Be kind to yourself during the hours or days where your mind is simply elsewhere and you’re unable to focus; it happens to the best of us. Identify your greatest productive hours and make the most of them.

2. read smarter, not harder

Reading is an entire skill unto itself, especially in grad school. It’s very easy to get caught up in the overwhelming amount of content that you need to cover and to lose sight of why you are reading the text in the first place. Read with purpose; its quality over quantity. Before attempting to tackle any text with a vast number of pages, take a step back and consider what you should be getting out of this work. Allow yourself time to reflect on what you are reading instead of surging through the pages without thought. Being mindful while reading is an aptitude that I consistently work on; when executed correctly, it’s proven to have the best results.

3. budget your time

There is no one way to efficiently manage your time; it’s a subjective practice and it’s very dependent on your personal schedule. I’ve found that creating weekly to-do lists have kept me the most organized; doing so refrained me from becoming overwhelmed by the fast-paced university environment. Allocate certain times for tasks; to help with completing them within a desired timeframe, practice staying present in the moment and engage with what is in front of you.

4. make time for leisure and self-care

In the whirlwind of academic pursuits that define the grad school journey, deliberately making time for leisure and self-care becomes not just a luxury but a necessity. Everyone deserves time to recharge and rejuvenate. Engage in whatever it is that makes you happy. Listen to your favorite songs, experiment with new recipes, unwind with a film or release some steam with physical activity. The benefits of such extend far beyond a temporary escape. Pacing yourself and embracing moments of relaxation is the key to a fulfilling and sustainable academic journey.

Graduate school is an expedition into uncharted territories, but I have to say, I’ve loved the challenge. It’s definitely pushed my limits and tapped into my potential. This transformative process honed my academic skills and created a more adaptive and resilient version of myself. If you are embarking on a grad school journey, my final piece of advice would simply be to be patient with yourself; grant yourself the time to adapt to this new academic environment and create a routine that works best for you. 

Krizia is a part-time writer for York University's chapter in the Her Campus magazine. She is interested in a wide array of topics, including wellness, life, fashion, culture and career. As a full-time graduate student at York, she is attaining a Masters degree in English. Krizia has made many meaningful contributions to this chapter since she was previously part of the HC team during her undergraduate years.