This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Throughout the past year, fitness spaces haven’t been the most accessible; moving in and out of lockdowns have made it significantly more difficult for gym enthusiasts to continue with their routines. But during this time, there has been an influx of new workouts and evolving exercise trends to constitute the lack of gym accessibility. Countless instructors have emerged and flourished since the start of this pandemic and are attempting to make physical activities accessible from home. 

woman on workout machine
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels
Earlier last year, my friend and I were looking to begin an at-home fitness routine, one that included a day-to-day exercise plan. We were not looking to become fitness gurus, so we wanted a routine that did not involve the use of any advanced equipment — the simpler the better! The objective was to have fun in the process. The extent of our purchases was a yoga mat to ensure our comfort during the workout and an outfit to exercise in. After attaining those two necessities, we were set and ready to begin our fitness journey. It took a few days of research until we came across Chloe Ting’s fitness site. Ting is a YouTuber who provides free workout programs and recipes, and she has a wide variety of programs to choose from depending on what area of the body you would like to target.

woman on workout mat with laptop
Photo by Karolina Grabowska from Pexels
Speaking from firsthand experience, Chloe Ting is one of the best online fitness instructors I have followed. Not only are her workouts rookie friendly, but they are simple and effective. One of my personal favorites from her site is the “Hourglass: Booty and Abs Program.” This is a 26-day program that only takes up about an hour of your day. I found her exercises to be well structured, planned and repetitive for the purpose of conditioning your body. Her amusing energy-filled videos kept me feeling motivated and engaged throughout the workout, and her positivity was well appreciated! It’s safe to say that each and every one of her videos left my body aching in one way or another. The intensity of her workouts increased with each passing day and, initially, it was challenging to keep up. I was compelled to work on my resilience, not only physically, but mentally as well. About one week into the program, I found my stamina to be significantly improving. It was a very fulfilling feeling to watch my body attain a new level of strength and endurance. 

woman tying running shoelaces
Photo by Karolina Grabowska from Pexels
After ending this 26-day program, I not only saw significant improvements to my body, but I also felt much happier and healthier. I was obligated to push my body to challenging extents to see the results I strived for and I surprised myself with what I was able to accomplish. Conditioning my mind and body at the very beginning of the program was probably the most difficult obstacle to overcome. I had to ensure I maintained a positive and motivated mindset. 

My advice to anyone starting their fitness journey would be to keep the end goal in mind and never lose sight of what you are working towards. My fitness journey flourished after I adjusted my mentality. And now, an activity that I started to do with a friend during such a chaotic time of our lives, transformed into a new passion of mine. Since I started working on Ting’s programs, taking an hour out of my day to be active and focus on my health has become a necessity. To anyone who is looking for a new fitness routine, make sure to check out Chloe Ting’s programs, as she is sure to make your experience affirming and gainful!

Krizia is a part-time writer for York University's chapter in the Her Campus magazine. She is interested in a wide array of topics, including wellness, life, fashion, culture and career. As a full-time graduate student at York, she is attaining a Masters degree in English. Krizia has made many meaningful contributions to this chapter since she was previously part of the HC team during her undergraduate years.