This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

If you’re going back to school this September, it is likely that you’re highly anticipating the workload and full schedule that comes with being a post-secondary student. It is easy to become overwhelmed with the chaos, but it is important to remember to take time for yourself. Success involves prioritizing your mind and body to ensure that you are in good mental and physical shape so you can prosper in multiple facets of your life beyond education. 

My first piece of advice would be to try to not neglect your physical health. It’s easy to put your physical health on the back burner when your schedule starts to get busy. Getting enough sleep is important to keep your brain running in tip-top shape. It also makes it easier to maintain a positive attitude on a long school day. It is hard getting enough sleep when you’re overwhelmed with deadlines. However, having an agenda and an efficient time management schedule can help ensure that you’re ahead of the game. Be prepared! If you want to be your most efficient and productive self, you’re going to want to try to get six to eight hours of sleep every night. 

Eat well. Feed your body with nutrients so that you feel vibrant and energized. This has nothing to do with aesthetics; it has to do with how you feel throughout the day. It is easy to resort to unhealthy eating choices, especially when you’re in a rush, but bringing your own food and snacks to keep you energized throughout the day is key! Try to prepare your food the night before a school day so that you can get maximum sleep time. Your body will thank you and, more importantly, you will thank yourself. 

If it helps, try and consider these practices of self-discipline, a challenge that could benefit you in ways that are mentally and physically beneficial. 

In terms of mental health, trying to maintain some level of self-awareness can be difficult when we’re experiencing tension or anxiety. When you’re feeling uneasy, ask yourself the following questions: what is the likelihood that what I’m fearing is going to happen? Even if it does happen, how much will it matter? Sometimes, we have a justifiable reason for worrying and other times our worries are unwarranted. While they are still valuable, there are often logical and simple solutions to our problems. Prioritize your time and, as weird as it sounds, try and prioritize your stress. Deal with the big tasks now and the small tasks later. 

Photo via Pixabay

Try to remember that your test or assignment results do not dictate your value. If you’re not doing as well as you would like to in a course or multiple courses, remember that schools offer various resources to help you cultivate your success. From personal counselors to tutors, use these resources to your advantage. 

We make ourselves feel like we are burdening the people around us when we stress and complain, but trust me when I say there are fellow classmates that are more than likely feeling the same way as you who would love the chance to vent and listen to your feelings. Reach out and try to make companions in your classes, because this could very well result in having someone to lean on for advice, a second opinion, or someone to help you catch up on any content you may have missed. Putting yourself out into the world will also help reestablish your confidence! 

Photo via Pixabay

Whether you enjoy a good film or you like to read a good book, continue to practice things that you love. Make time in the week for yourself, even if it is just for a few minutes or a few hours. I can’t stress this enough: it is easy to get lost in a workload. You are your truest self when you are doing the things you love — keep being your truest self!  

You do not have to confront any of these solutions all at once; do whatever feels right for you. The most important advice I can give you is to take it one day at a time. We can only control what we do in the moment, and we often stress about bad things that could potentially happen in the future. You are in more control than you think and you have the tools to navigate yourself to your own success and happiness. Cliché? Perhaps, but I stand by this. Good luck this year, you’re going to do great!

Photo via Pixabay

Averie Severs is one of the Her Campus CC's for the York U chapter. She is a film production major with a focus in documentary filmmaking.