Finding Purpose in Quarantine: A Year Later

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

With the rise in popularity of Netflix shows such as Tiger King and a switch to online learning, COVID-19 didn’t seem all that bad- in fact it initially felt like an extended vacation. Fast forward to a year later, times have changed as we’re still living in a COVID-19 world. 

It’s no secret that the pandemic has put a hold on normal life. One thing that’s given me purpose is finding a routine.  In an instinctually abnormal time, having a routine provides me with the sense of normality that I’ve been craving. 

Invest in a Skincare Routine

Personally, having healthy skin has always made me feel better about my appearance. Since I don’t go out much, I haven’t felt the need to wear makeup as often. Because of this, having pretty and hydrated skin became more important to me.

My current five-step skin care routine consists of using a gentle cleanser, toner, vitamin C serum, moisturizer and a facial oil (I only use the oil at night). This evolving routine allows me to start and end my night with a specific task that keeps me regimented. 

Contrary to popular belief, skin care doesn’t have to be expensive. The Budget Dermatologist is a youtube channel run by dermatologist Dr. Maren Locke, who makes content exclusively about affordable, dermatologist-approved skin care products. If you’re in need of some inexpensive skin care products, check her out!

woman\'s face surrounded by lemon and orange slices
Photo by Noah Buscher from Unsplash

Check in on Friends

Staying away from friends has taken a hit on friendships. In being a young adult in our late teens and twenties, a huge part of our lives is social time. As an extrovert, I’ve felt this deeply. 

Other than holding on to hope for the future when everyone can hang out safely again, reaching out to friends has helped me through these times. In the era of technology, resources like FaceTime allow us to connect with those whose mental health may have suffered greatly in the last year. Shooting a text to check in on someone might mean a lot to them right now. It’s so important to invest time in the relationships we have so when we can actually see each other again we don’t forget how to socialize!

friends laughing in sunflower field
Photo by Antonino Visalli from Unsplash

Stay Active

If I’m being honest, it took me a few months to get into the rhythm of working out, but it’s been beneficial. Personally, my goal for working out wasn’t to lose weight. I just felt so guilty doing absolutely nothing all day.

Typically, I workout out for 30 minutes every morning. On days I don’t feel like doing an actual workout I’ll walk my dog, go for a trail walk or even play soccer at a field near my house. For me, it isn’t about the actual activity as much as it is about keeping active. 

In doing this, I’ve seen a change in my fatigue during the day and my sleep has improved. Being active can also improve our mental health. This is your sign, start being more active. 

YouTube accounts like blogilates and POPSUGAR Fitness offer great at-home workouts and body weight exercises for all experience levels. 

Woman exercising indoors on yoga mat
Photo by Johnathan Borba from Unsplash

Journal

Incorporating journaling into my daily routine has been a breakthrough for me. Given the fact that I haven’t been able to see loved ones, the lack of discussion has impacted me greatly.

There’s something therapeutic about conversing since some of our thoughts dwell in our minds, leading us to feel trapped. Usually, when talking to people we trust, we’re able to release thoughts we’ve been pondering. 

Journaling is like conversing with yourself. The act of projecting ideas outside of our minds can be a huge release. Journaling has assisted me in having a clear mind and light heart. 

yellow and black ink drawings in bullet journal
Photo by Estée Janssens from Unsplash
Just because we may have less to do doesn’t mean we can’t make up our own routine. Having relied far too much on the world to give me a purpose, it’s empowering to know we are capable of creating a purpose in our personal life. The difficulty of this past year can’t be ignored, but I’ll always appreciate the fact that it’s pushed me to find a purpose of my own.

Lenna Kapetaneas is an English and Professional Writing major at York University with dreams of becoming a journalist. She began writing as a child and it is something that has stuck with her. She has a passion for fashion, beauty, lifestyle, mental health and faith that she loves to write about. In her writing, her goal is to relate and connect with the women reading.
Lisa is a former writer, executive member, and Chapter Leader of Her Campus at York U. She graduated from York University in 2021 with a BA in Anthropology. She is a Kappa Phi Xi alumni and is currently pursuing a Paralegal studies accelerated diploma at Seneca College.