This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

We are told that focusing on yourself is very important, especially at a young age. What I learned growing up is that as women, we don’t need a significant other to be happy. Getting to know who you really are as a woman is so important. Especially taking the time to focus on yourself and have a ‘me’ day. We cannot rely on someone else to make us happy. I was at a point in my life where I did not know how my future was going to turn out (I’m sure we’ve all felt that way). I was confused and scared. As I grew older, I decided I wanted to take control of my own future.

LovePanky made a creative list on how to love ourselves and “be your own sunshine”.

Decide what you want to do

If you’re experiencing a roadblock in your life currently, it’s a good time to see what your other options are. It’s okay if you’re still confused about career choices while you’re in university. I was in this same spot during my second year of university. Whatever you may doing, there might be other opportunities for you in the future because you never know what the future will hold.

Visualize what your life should be like

This is where a vision board comes in handy. I started my vision board the beginning of this year. Ever since I started it, I feel that I’ve gained an extra boost of motivation. Whatever you want to accomplish in life, where you want to live, your dream car, your dream house, you can put that all on your vision board. Focus on what you want your life to be like. If you focus on the things you want, you give yourself no option but to succeed.

Figure out where you need to improve

Being honest with yourself comes with focusing on yourself, and sometimes the truth hurts. But once we recognize the areas we aren’t happy with in our lives, it will get better. Once you figure out where you want to improve, try and figure out the reason why you feel the way you do about that aspect of your life. Making baby steps in important for improvement.

Exercise more

We all know that staying in shape and eating healthy is important. As women, we need to cut down on a few things that we love in order to feel energetic. I recently just started my water diet, and it feels good to cut down on sugar. It took me a while to stop eating and drinking the things that were unhealthy for me. Cut down on junk food and eat healthy foods to feel energetic, happier and healthier.

Photo via Nathan Cowley

Focusing on yourself mentally and physically is so important. Without being in the right state of mind, we won’t be able to keep the positive aura we strive to get. Hopefully with these tips, you will be able to relax and get your life back on track!

Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.