Everything You Need to Know about the Potential Strike at York University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Quick Terms

Strike: refusal to work via protest

CUPE 3903: Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 3903, a York University union for many employees

Picket line: boundary, whether physical or not, set by striking employees asking people not to cross

Scab: someone who crosses the picket line

Contract: the working agreement regarding benefits, wages, etc., that is being reviewed and renewed

It happened in 2008. It happened again in 2015. And it might happen (again) next week. As CUPE 3903’s contract draws to an end, the possibility of a strike looms yet another time. Coming in just after the colleges were forced back to school, York students are left with the grim realization that classes, exams, credits, and even graduations might be postponed. Again. There is a great deal of speculation and miscommunication over what will happen, especially about what is even going on and what any of the technical terms used even mean. Luckily, the only thing mysterious and unknown about this worrying time should be about the negotiations.

CUPE 3903 pose after voting against a proposal, November 2017. Source

Everyone has heard of strikes, and maybe have even been a part of one of York’s previous ones. In short, a strike is a refusal to work in protest form. CUPE 3903, which represents many of York’s employees (teaching assistants, graduate assistants, contract faculty, part-time librarians, and archivists), has requested new benefits in their new contract, including increases in salaries, while asking for other benefits to stay the same, such as vacation pay. York, as their employer, has the right to approve, deny, or otherwise compromise on the matters presented. This game of ping pong goes back and forth until both parties are satisfied, or until certain dates are presented and CUPE’s votes are tallied. However, if the two parties can’t agree, they don’t immediately have to go to striking. There are opportunities to get third party arbitrators or conciliators involved in order to assist. If there continues to be a lack of agreement, a no board report may be filed to inform the provincial minister of labour. If there continues to be no agreement, a strike may occur.

Richard Wellen, President of YUFA (York University Faculty Association), speaking at rally.” January 2016.

For those who have been here for four or more years, they have probably experienced the previous strike and know what to expect. Generally, classes would be cancelled. Any members of CUPE would not participate in their classroom duties. A very select few professors, however, continue their classes. It is your choice as a student to attend the classes or not. You cannot be penalized if you refuse as per York policy. There would almost definitely be a picket line. In 2015, it involved blocking the main entrances of both York campuses by CUPE members and supporters, circling for approximately three minutes before letting any vehicles in. People on sidewalks and emergency vehicles are naturally excluded.

Undergraduate students and CUPE 3903 members at a Keele picket line. March 2015.

The real curiosity for students, though, lies in questions of “what will happen to us if there is a strike? What will happen to assignments, exams and so on?” There’s no definite answer, but it largely rests on the length of the strike and who the professor is. Some exams and assignments will have lowered weights, get extensions, or be cancelled altogether. Other times, everything gets very quickly rushed. In 2015, some students reported that they would have a test one week and an exam the next. The question of graduation dates has yet to be answered, as well. Ideally, it will not be affected, however, it relies on the length of the strike.

CUPE 3903 poster found on TTC. February 2015. Source

One of the more hidden and frustrating parts of a strike isn’t how CUPE acts with York, but how quickly and viciously students turn on them and each other. Both sides, naturally, want to gain the favour of 53,000+ students in order to pressure the other. Nasty smear campaigns can pop up quickly and deceptively, even if not formally associated with either side. This is not the time to quickly decide who to support. As students, it is our duty and responsibility to research what is going on and logically come to a conclusion as to who, if any, we decide to support. With that being said, there is absolutely no excuse and no need to damage, whether physically or mentally, either side.

This video from the 2015 shows how poorly some students reacted to the strike. Their use of violence is not necessary in the slightest and is quite illegal. In these cases, it is crucial to be well-informed and calm. Some ways of supporting CUPE include joining the picket line, performing sit-ins, and refusing to be a scab. For anyone joining the picket line, be alert for people who will behave as the ones in the video. Be prepared to get out of the road quickly in case someone tries to just drive though. Supporting York can also be done, but arguably requires more patience. It can involve crossing the picket line to attend classes or signing petitions asking for CUPE to reconsider and vote more positively. With both cases, be respectful.

Picket line from January 2016. Source

There, unfortunately, are differing accounts on how well the bargaining process is going. York is continuing their usual act of assuring everyone that things are going well. Recently, Barbara Joy, a chief spokesperson and director of media relations, said “we are a progressive university – and it’s worth highlighting that over the last 17 years, York has successfully renegotiated 46 collective agreements. We are proud of that.” With that being said, they have also recently published an open letter to CUPE 3903 in which they insist York’s current compensation package is “the best of any Ontario university,” and that students are their top priority. There are, however, several remarks such as that “we have made eight non-monetary proposals… CUPE’s bargaining team has rejected them all without any real discussion.” As an open letter, this is clearly also addressed to students, who York has said it prioritizes. Subtle comments like these have raised some eyebrows and have left some wondering if this is an attempt to turn students against CUPE.

Some of CUPE’s proposals and York’s counters in red.

Taken from CUPE 3903’s Facebook account

On the other hand, CUPE is insisting that York is grossly misrepresenting the whole situation. As of January 18th, they have posted on their website that their “employer picks lies over progress,” and have responded to York’s open lettereven going as far as grading it an “F for inaccuracies.” They go on to call it a “dirty tactic” to spread lies to their employees, and it’s “not at all consistent with good faith bargaining.” They are strongly urging their members to vote yes for the strike mandate. CUPE, while also greatly supporting undergraduate students, does tend to focus on their own members, including graduate students and teaching assistants. They ask students to remember that they are also humans with their own career needs and wants.

August 2014. Source

Unfortunately, there is no real prediction on how things will go in the near future. York’s cheery optimism is deeply contrasted by CUPE 3903’s frustrations at the bargaining table.  For now, the best thing students can do is educate themselves on the matter. One can only hope both parties will be able to resolve this without delay, and hopefully prevent a strike. Until then, all of York remains in limbo.

For updated information, follow http://labour.yorku.ca/ or https://3903.cupe.ca/.

Sources

Kaitlin is a bilingual (French and English) writer originating from friendly Thunder Bay. They are in their seventh year at York University, where they study professional writing with an emphasis on journalism. They live with their partner of nine years and their cat, Tessa. They started writing with a passion and a poem that eventually won third in a contest 12 years ago, and started editing not too long after. When not at the keyboard, Kaitlin can be found reading, cooking, playing video games, or holding Tessa. Their favorite movies are scary and their favorite television genre is reality. Kaitlin's passions include copyediting, anything scary or spooky and adding to her collection of dolls, magnets and cups. Their favorite part of writing/editing is giving others a chance to share their story or achieve their dreams and offering insight on "the little things." Some of Kaitlin's favorite topics reflect on their personal life, including health/disabilities, fringe topics and social issues.
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.