This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

As we enter into midterm season at Yale it is vital to make sure we continue to take care of our minds, spirits, and bodies, even when it feels hard to. Here are some tips for successful self-care! 

1. Sleep Early

Though it can be difficult, having a consistent sleep schedule is vital to feeling good. Making the decision to sleep even 30 minutes earlier than your normal bedtime is a great way to ensure your body is getting enough rest to take on a new day.

2. Meditate

Meditation is certainly something most of us have heard is good for our bodies, but rarely choose to do for ourselves. Meditation has many proven benefits and as little as five minutes of mindful breathing can have a profoundly positive effect on your subconscious mind.

3. Take time for yourself

It can often be hard to find time in the day solely dedicated to ourselves. From extracurricular activities to classes, to roommates, it can sometimes feel impossible to catch a minute alone. That said, spending time with yourself is one of the best ways to check-in and see what you need to keep pushing through the day! If you are someone who particularly struggles with this, it can be immensely helpful to schedule a specific time each day solely for this purpose. 

4. Spend time in nature

Like meditation and consistent sleeping habits, spending time in nature is yet another item on this list that is backed by science. Indeed, spending time in nature has been purported to enhance immune systems, reduce anxiety, and improve overall mood! 

5. Put your phone down

This may just be the most difficult tip on this list however it is equally the most important. Though phones are amazing tools, like anything, too much exposure can end up contributing to stress and deflating our moods. Putting your phone down for even half an hour to go do something else can be a great way to reset and refocus. 

Of course, these tips are not the end all be all, however, I hope that at least some of these come in handy as you enter your exams! Happy studying!

Chloe is a Senior majoring in Political Science with a concentration in race, law, and human rights at Yale University. When she is not writing for HerCampus, she can be found doing yoga, drinking tea, and napping...a lot.