kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Get Motivated to go to the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

Everyone talks about wanting to go to the gym regularly but how many of us actually make it there? It can definitely be hard to get motivated to go to the gym but here are some simple ways to do so:

Start Little: When first starting out, one of the worst things to do is make an impossible goal. Telling yourself that you are going to go to the gym every single day and go on the treadmill for an hour is probably not a super achievable goal and if you can’t complete it, you will feel discouraged. Start off with just doing a little bit of cardio and then some weights is an easy goal to complete and not only will you feel good from just working out, but you will feel super good from accomplishing your goal. You can then slowly start doing more and more and won’t feel like you want to die as much after. 

Research Workouts: There are so many videos on YouTube that you can find about different workouts. You can find different weight lifting techniques to try at the gym or you could look for at home workouts for the days when you still want to do something but maybe can’t make it to the gym. 

Get a Work Out Buddy: A great way to get motivated is to work out with someone! You guys can stay on top of each other to make sure you go to the gym when you plan on going. It also make working out go by a lot faster when you have someone to talk to. ​

Find a Good Time to Go: If you are not a morning person, do not tell yourself that you are going to go to the gym at 6 am everyday. If you are super busy at nights, you can try and find a time during the middle of the day to go. That way you can stick to your goal, plus the gym is generally pretty empty during that time.

Keep Your Mind Distracted: While doing cardio it can feel like time is slowing down if you are not doing anything. Make a workout playlist that will keep you super pumped and ready to go. You can even download the Netflix app and keep binge watching your favorite show, a much better way to do so compared to being on you couch all day.

If you miss a day, it’s okay! Don’t let yourself get discouraged. Once you start going all the time, it’ll become a part of your schedule and you will feel super good. The hardest part is starting, but once you do you will be excited to go be active.