nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why It’s Okay to Let Go 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

The most common mistake of holding on to imagined happiness is the recurring, unchanging of actions.  “Be careful with how much you tolerate. You’re teaching them how to treat you.”

It is especially easy to get attached and in the habit of your “normal.” But if that normal keeps leading to unhappiness; it is okay to realize that those old ways will not open new doors. When you continue to do, what is comfortable for you, you’re not growing or experiencing and you’re not moving forward. Change is something that leads to each part of your journey, shaping your mind, body and life. Find the person you’re supposed to be, not the one who others want you to be. Everything happens for a reason and that reason could lead to something beautiful.

Your comfort zone will kill you. There is so much potential to be offered if you just take it. Find what you fear and face it.

The most empowering quote, in my opinion, is Atticus’s “Never go in search of love, go in search of life, and life will find the love you seek.” Now, this can relate to significant others, friendships and family. You cannot force someone to love you the way you love them no matter what the relationship is; you sure as hell cannot love anyone until you love yourself. The best way to start loving yourself is to forgive your mistakes and see what life offers. Stop entertaining false hope. 

Even though it is hard to accept it is time for a new chapter; hard times are some of the best times. (Yes, I took that quote off a Mikes Hard Lemonade bottle.) Don’t hide away, let yourself have fun and realize freedom is yours if you let it. 

Now I am guilty of this, that is why I am writing about it; to remind myself never to settle for less. Never lose your worth. 

Stop existing and start living. 

Edited by Katie Carnefix

Molly is a Sophmore at West Virginia University, her major is Multidisciplinary Studies. She is from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and loves shopping, makeup, traveling and having photoshoots.
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.