Wellness > Mental Health

Journaling is Underrated: Here’s Why You Should Pick it Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

As we enter into the seemingly endless abyss we call finals week, it’s more important than ever to take care of your stress and mental health.

Journaling has been a hobby of mine for as long as I can remember, as I grew older it turned out to be the best stress relief method I’ve found to date. As one of the most stressful times of the year approaches, here’s five reasons why you should try it out yourself!

1. A journal can become your new best friend

There’s nothing like the feeling of calling your mom or texting your best friend after a long day, but sometimes we just don’t know how to express our feelings to others or feel comfortable doing so.

Having a journal is an amazing way of getting your worries off your chest. Especially when handling stress, it can be difficult to reach out to friends and family. Writing down exactly what you’re feeling in a moment you may be overwhelmed in, is a great way to calm yourself down and take a better look at your situation. With a journal, you can pour your heart out without judgment, all while also taking the time to be creative and explore your talents and interests. 

2. You can literally make it into anything you want

The creativity opportunities are endless! Your journal can be a diary, planner, scrapbook, sketchbook, anything you’d like all in one place. I personally love collecting ticket stubs, receipts, or photos from an especially important day. It’s all completely up to you.

You don’t have to be interested in writing to have a journal, either. The point of a journal is to express yourself and how you’re feeling in the moment that you’re using it, no matter what that method may be.

3. It’s not a commitment, you don’t have to be consistent

A journal is something you can use every day multiple times a day, or to forget about for a few months until you’re feeling inspired again. There’s nothing to be stressed out about when journaling.

4. It gives you a sense of comfort

Taking the time to reflect on yourself, as well as taking off that weight you’ve been holding in is something to look forward to after a long day. Some days I personally can’t wait to get home, snuggle up, and vent about my day to my favorite notebook. 

5. It’s something to look back on   

No matter what you decide to fill your journal with, you’ll be able to have a physical book of your life to reflect on. It’s interesting to read old entries of both positive and negative times you might have forgotten and to see how you’ve grown over time and were able to overcome your past hardships. 

Cassidy is a WVU graduate with a major in Public Relations and Advertising with minors in both Marketing and Political Science. Cassidy hopes to be a successful writer or editor and is excited for what's to come.
Her Campus at West Virginia University