Wellness > Health

Easy Habits to Break to Reach Your 2019 Fitness Goals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

After indulging in many, many sweet treats over the holidays, it’s the time of year when everyone begins to work on their summer bodies. Working out and going to the gym can be intimidating, especially if you are just starting for the first time, but if you work on breaking some of the habits that you may not even realize you have is a step in the right direction. Although it takes longer to break a habit than make one, the little things make a major difference, and it will make you feel better in the long run.

Stop restricting yourself.

Unless otherwise instructed by your dietitian or doctor, there is no reason why a female young adult should be eating less than 1,000 calories a day. There is a great misconception that eating way less than normal will help you lose weight and become more lean. While it is true that you will lose weight by eating very little, you will be doing so in an unhealthy way. So let yourself eat!

Don’t drink your calories.

A lot of people struggle with drinking their calories. You may be strictly counting your calories and/or macros (proteins, fats, and carbs) when you eat, but aren’t taking into consideration all of the calories and sugars you are consuming when you drink a soda or a large vanilla iced coffee. It’s much more beneficial to eat your calories. Start by limiting yourself to one soda a day, or try adding almond milk to your coffee instead of cream. Eventually, you will stop craving the high calorie beverages.

Throw away the scale.

Many women struggle with the scale. It’s most certainly not bad to weigh yourself, but don’t obsess over it. Weighing yourself everyday isn’t good for you mental health, as your weight fluctuates day to day based on how much water, sodium, etc. you are getting. If weighing yourself if a bad habit for you, try starting by only weighing yourself once a week, then once a month. Try taking progress photos instead. You will see a much bigger difference in the photos than you will on the scale.

Don’t beat yourself up.

Missing a day at the gym or cheating on a meal to go out with your friends will not end your fitness journey. Don’t put yourself down if you were too busy with schoolwork to make it to the gym one day. Don’t turn down a night out with your girl friends because you are worried about breaking your diet—memories are greater than macros. Your body needs to rest in order to recover, and allowing yourself to eat an unhealthy meal will keep you from overindulging later on.

Victoria Price is a sophomore strategic communicatons major at West Virginia University. She is emphasizing in public relations and minoring in law and legal studies, with hopes of attending law school after graduating with her Bachelor's degree. Aside from being a member of Her Campus, Victoria has written for Ed on Campus, WVU's student magazine organization.