Wellness > Health

4 Tips To Help You Start Your Fitness Journey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

When it comes to fitness, it doesn’t have to be about losing weight if you don’t want it to be. Getting into better shape and being healthier is the main focus. Starting a fitness journey is all about being patient and finding something that works for you. Although different methods work for everyone, there are four main things that will help everyone get started on the right track.

Plan out your workouts.

This is something extremely simple, but planning your workouts ahead of time keeps you on track throughout the week. Not only should you plan what days you will be working out, plan what you will be doing on that day. Going to the gym with a plan prevents you from getting distracted. You don’t need to do any elaborate workout, but having something written down makes you more apt to actually complete the given task. Choose one day a week, probably at the beginning, that you can sit down and look at your work or class schedule for the week. From there, figure out what times you can workout and make sure that you write it down as a personal reminder!

Get a gym membership.

I don’t know about you, but if I know I’m spending money on something, I’m going to make sure that I’m using it. This is not necessary, but if you have difficulty getting yourself to workout, then this may be helpful to you. Many people believe that becoming a member of a gym has to cost you a pretty penny, but it doesn’t! If you’re a college student, your campus more than likely offers free access to the gym on campus. Although money isn’t coming directly out of your bank account every month, access to the gym is part of your tuition. If the campus gym is not for you, or you don’t have access to one, gyms such as Planet Fitness offer memberships that cost as low as $10 a month.

Buy some cute workout clothes.

Okay, I know this sounds really superficial, but look good, feel good, right? Again, this is something that isn’t necessary at all, but it will definitely give you a confidence boost in the gym. During a workout, you should be comfortable in whatever you’re wearing. Just like purchasing a gym membership, this doesn’t have to break the bank if you don’t want it to. Marshalls and TJ Maxx are both great places to find discount workout gear, but for those of you who prefer to shop online, Fabletics offers a deal that you can’t pass up. When you become a VIP member, you are eligible to buy two pairs of leggings for $24… total. With such a low cost, you’d expect the quality to be sub-par, but I can promise you that these are some of the best leggings that I own.

Get plenty of sleep and drink A LOT of water.

Yes, teachers, parents and doctors have been telling you this since you were in elementary school, but it was all for good reason. In order to stay hydrated, health professionals recommend that you drink eight eight-ounce glasses of water each day. If you workout that day, make sure that you drink a few extra glasses. Not only does doing so keep you hydrated, but it also gives you energy throughout the day. The same goes for sleep. Adequate sleep is going to keep you motivated and energized to get into the gym. No one wants to workout on four hours of sleep. For adults, anywhere from seven to nine hours of sleep are recommended per night. This can vary from person to person, so get yourself on a consistent schedule and figure out what works for you.

These tips should help you begin the path to your fitness journey. What works for some may not work for you. Finding a personalized convenient schedule will help keep you on track and accomplish your fitness goals.

Madisen is a sophomore honors student at West Virginia University. She is pursuing a degree in Medical Laboratory Science with a minor in Communication Studies. Upon completing her degree, Madisen hopes to be accepted to physician's assistant school to continue her education. Madisen strives to be diverse in everything she does by delving into writing, science, photography, and painting. Being so diverse has allowed her to find the beauty in many aspects of life!