This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Often times, protein is what comes to mind when considering foods or dietary nutrients that are essential for post workouts. However, many people are unaware that iron is crucial to exercise performance. Iron is especially important for women, who are typically prone to iron deficiencies, which can contribute to muscle soreness and fatigue after workouts. If our muscles are tired, this prevents you from having optimal results and work output. Performance can be affected by low iron levels, which can increase your likelihood of developing anemia. This is a condition that occurs when you have a less than normal amount of red blood cells in your blood or your red blood cells do not have enough hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is key to the transport of oxygen to your lungs and to other parts of your body. In short, without sufficient oxygen in your bodily tissues, your body cannot function and work as it should. Women are among the group with the greatest risk of developing anemia. The USDA suggests that women consume 18 mg of iron per day. Here is a list of iron-rich foods that can be easily found all around William and Mary, either on or off-campus, for you to get your daily fix.

1. Spinach: 1 cup = 6.43 mg of iron

Not only does spinach contain iron, but also it is a great source of vitamin A, calcium, potassium, which all play a role in muscle strength. Having a salad, for,

or with a meal, once a day should be enough to meet the daily iron requirement.

2. White Rice: 1 cup = 7.97 mg of iron

Sometimes, white rice is made out to be the “bad guy” because it has less fiber and essential nutrients than brown rice. However, it is great for iron! This gives you an excuse to eat a serving along with your Chinese food or to go out for sushi.

3. Beef: 3 ounces = 5.24 mg of iron

Beef is a win-win! Yes, that means you can get both iron and high levels of protein when you eat a steak or burger. Also, next time you are at the new Sadler dining hall, add some beef to your veggie stir-fry!

4. Tomatoes: 1 cup = 3.39 mg of iron

As with most food items on this list, you can get more than just iron from tomatoes. They are also packed with antioxidants, which help combat aging and disease.

5. Potatoes: 1 small potato = 2.7 mg of iron

Steam, roast or bake potatoes for a good taste, without the fat and grease of French fries. You can even have a baked potato, with limited sour cream and cheese, to get your servings of iron next time you are craving some carbs.

As you can see, iron is an essential mineral to your daily diet. Iron-rich foods are not limited to the list above and are easy to obtain, so there is really no excuse as to why you are not eating enough of it. So, next time you workout, don’t just “pump iron,” eat it!