kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Make Working Out Fun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Whether you’re starting a workout routine or trying to maintain the one you already have, keeping up the motivation is a challenge and doing it with a smile on your face is even harder. Although it’s difficult, it’s far from impossible and these tips are going to make sure you stick to it.

1. Create a killer playlist. Make sure to keep it upbeat so your energy stays high throughout your workout. Begin and end with two of your favorites to ensure that you have a positive attitude to start and to finish your workout. It’s also fun to mix in some old throwback jams. Also, try to create a playlist at least 30 minutes longer than your planned workout in case you aren’t feeling some of the songs and want to skip them.

2. Spice it up. Don’t do the same workout every day since you want to work different muscles and you will most likely get bored. Fitness classes are an awesome way to shake it up when typical exercises seem boring and they will also have an instructor to keep you on track. Madison has amazing options from yoga to cycling. If you don’t want to spend the money on studio classes, Rec Sports has a very affordable unlimited pass for the year or by semester.

3. Get the crew together. Working out with a friend or a group of friends is a great way to stay motivated. Plan to do it as a break of after one of your study sessions.

4. Do some shopping. Get some cute workout clothes that you promise to wear ONLY when working out. Also make sure to buy clothes that will work for the type of exercise you plan on doing.

5. Stick to your schedule, but don’t overdo while you’re there. If you’re working out and feel like you are really, really struggling then slow down. It’s important to push it, but you don’t want to hurt yourself and you don’t want to give yourself a negative experience that will make you never want to workout again. If you promised yourself you would run, but are feeling like you physically can’t do it then try to mix running, jogging, and walking. Doing a workout of any form is better than no workout at all!

6. Focus on the after effect. No one has ever regretted a workout. The endorphins afterward will definitely feel amazing so focus on that instead of the temporary burn you feel while doing your squats.

Remember, summer bodies are made in the winter, so it’s a great time to get to work. Don’t stress, you can do it!

Born and raised in Wisconsin but a New York girl at heart. Kelsey is a junior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison majoring in Communication Arts and Theatre and Drama. She is a lover of fashion, iced coffee, and running. After school she plans to pursue a career in the fashion industry.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!