kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

5 Workout Tips for Beginners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Next to haunted houses and roller coasters, going to the gym for the first time is one of the scariest experiences. You’ve got your body builders, cross country runners and that one yoga girl who twists more than a pretzel, leaving you feeling slightly intimidated and regretful (Victorious and a bag of popcorn is sounding pretty good). Have no fear, although it seems like everyone is a workout expert, in reality we’re all just trying to lead a more active lifestyle. Whether you’ve been working out for years or not at all, getting into an active routine can be hard. Here’s five tips that will kickstart your health journey.

Keep it Simple

Many workout videos and blogs advise that you tackle the treadmill, rower, steppers and floor work all at once, which is a pretty hard thing to do if you’re unfamiliar with the equipment. In addition, flying from one piece of equipment to another doesn’t give your body enough time to reap the benefits of each machine. Try picking one machine and one floor exercise and then switch it up for your next workout! Just because it is simple, does not mean it isn’t effective.

Give Yourself Time to Adjust

Disclaimer: You’re not going to love going to the gym immediately. Adjustment can be difficult, but give yourself time to figure out what works for you. The first few minutes on the treadmill or the first few squats in your set might make you question why you crawled out of your bed and trekked over to the Nat mid-winter. Repeating the same motions and familiarizing yourself with your gym or run route will increase your comfort. Soon, with each step and each squat, your body will get used to the activity and it will thank you. 

Stay Focused

Try thinking of working out as a break from work, school, and friends. Taking that 60 minutes to focus solely on being active is not only great for your body, but it’s also healthy for your mind. If you want to take it a step further, try turning your notifications off so Snapchat and Twitter aren’t disrupting the peace. This will also create a more effective workout, if you’re not thinking about checking your phone or finishing an assignment (Can Canvas stop blowing up our phones?), you’re more likely to work harder and faster.

Make it Fun!

“Fun” is often not the word people use to describe working out, but who says it can’t be? You’re in charge of your fitness journey which means you can tailor it to your liking. Listen to music that inspires you or makes you want to dance, grab a friend so you have someone to motivate you, or wear fun leggings so you feel funky fresh on your run. Working out does not have to be a chore, instead it can be a fun part of your day. Instead of day-dreaming about potato chips and The Office, dream about listening to Big Bootie Mix 16 on the treadmill or doing push-ups with your bestie.

Challenge yourself

Working out is a lot like going to lecture: you can go through all the motions, but if you aren’t engaged and putting in effort, you won’t receive the results you desire. If regular squats are feeling easy, try holding a medicine ball to increase the intensity. As you build up your strength and stamina, you can modify your workout routines so that you’re working harder each day. It also will be helpful to set goals so you’re sure you are working hard and striving towards something. Remember, if it doesn’t challenge you, it won’t change you

It feels like there are a lot of dos and don’ts when it comes to working out, but the most important thing is to do what feels best for you. There’s going to be some days that you walk on the treadmill or you do push-ups on your knees, and that’s okay. Any type of activity is a great way to maintain a healthy lifestyle whether it’s a walk on the lakeshore path or a 5K through the Henry Vilas Zoo. Remember to pat yourself on the back because you’re making the effort to change your life and that is one of the best things you can do.

Bella Pitzo

Wisconsin '23

Bella is currently a Freshman at UW Madison studying Nutrition and Dietetics, hoping to attend graduate school and become a Registered Dietician. Bella was born and raised in Wisconsin and is the fourth member of her family to attend UW Madison. Bella loves Badger football, running, and cooking healthy treats for her friends!