This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Yoga has been around forever, but recently the yoga community has been growing and expanding its resources to serve more people at all stages in their yoga journey. If you are new to yoga and want to learn, here are some basic things to remember as you start out

1. Yoga takes practice

As with everything, yoga takes time and practice. If you have ever played a sport or learned how to play an instrument, you know that getting to be good at anything takes time. The same is true for yoga! Not only will you need to practice calming your mind and being at ease, but you will also need to practice stretching and doing the moves.

2. Take your time

Yoga takes time. As with any physical activity, it works every body differently. Take your time, and focus on doing yoga that fits you. Don’t worry about trying to become a master instantly; practice at your own pace.

3. Yoga is all about you

Yoga is really all about you, so cherish it! No matter how you do it — in a class, outside in nature or in your room — yoga is a time for you to relax and to be alone (or with friends, it’s up to you). When practicing, try to not think about what other people are doing, and focus on yourself.

4. Find what feels good

This next tip was inspired by Adriene Mishler. Adriene has an amazing YouTube channel filled with all sorts of different yoga videos. One thing she says a lot is to find what feels good. This is a really great tip for beginners to figure out how to become more in-tune with their body. Find what feels good for your body and don’t overwork yourself.

5. Have fun

Yoga can be whatever you want it to be. If you practice yoga to stretch out your muscles, that’s great! If you do yoga to relax and take time for yourself, that’s great too! No matter why you want to try, it will *hopefully* be a rewarding and a fun time for you. Don’t take it too seriously, and just try your best!

These are my five tips from one yoga beginner to another. Overall, if you are curious to try out yoga, I would definitely recommend it. It’s a fantastic way to relax and take time for yourself out of busy, stressful college days. Anyone can do yoga, and thanks to it being so popular these days, I’m sure you can find a practice that is perfect for you!

Katherine is a senior studying Communication Arts and Journalism.
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!