This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

As a college student, one thing I feel like I can never avoid is stress. The stress always piles up no matter what I do. If you are reading this article looking for a stress cure, I’m sorry to tell you that the cure isn’t here. However, I have some tips that have helped me manage my stress throughout the past semester. 

Keep a schedule and stick to it.

In my opinion, this is the most important tip I can give. My first semester of college, was one of the most stressful periods of my life. After reflecting on how my semester went, I realized something huge… my schedule was never consistent. Most of my online classes were structured so that I could do them at my own pace. This led to my work piling up (procrastination at it’s finest) and sheer amounts of totally unavoidable stress making its way into my life. Long weekends, visits to friends houses, and going home almost every weekend really threw off my schedule. Thankfully, this semester I have finally developed a schedule that works for me. I have time to do the things that I want to do (shopping, hanging out with friends, etc.) while still having enough time leftover for homework. Being consistent with my schedule has really helped me to gain more focus and understanding in my classwork and in life in general. 

Journal opened to September
Photo by Estée Janssens on Unsplash

Find a form of exercise you enjoy and DO IT!

Last semester I rarely worked out. I didn’t even start going to the gym until the last two weeks in the semester. It wasn’t until I found an exercise that I actually enjoyed doing that I started to work out again. Especially after having COVID, it was hard to find exercises that didn’t completely exhaust me within the first five minutes. I finally stumbled across a TikTok that soon became my holy grail. The 10-3-30 method. For those not familiar with it, the 10-3-30 method is where you walk on a treadmill on a 10 incline at speed 3 for 30 minutes. It may not seem super effective but it’s a great way to burn calories and kill time while you watch a Netflix show. I also started long-boarding which some people wouldn’t consider an exercise, but I do. Long-boarding is something that I really enjoy and it gets my blood pumping. If you aren’t a fan of going to the gym swimming, running, and Just Dance (my personal favorite) are all fun ways to exercise. Exercising more has also helped me stick to a healthier sleep schedule and makes me feel more energized throughout the day.

Girl hiking
Photo by Holly Mandarich from Unsplash

Set aside time for self care.

Self care looks different to everyone. To me, it’s finding time to do things that make you happy. Going to your favorite restaurant, hanging out with your girlfriends, or even just a face mask and a night in. Self care is a simple and effective way to keep your stress levels under control. Making a certain day of the week a set self care day/ night can be something to look forward to, especially during those super stressful weeks. Self care along with self love is the key to finding your inner girl boss and best self. 

Tea cup and candle by a bath tub
Photo by Maddi Bazzocco from Unsplash

Take a break.

We all need breaks when we are stressed out. Go on a walk outside, get up and stretch, pet your dog (or cat or whatever pet you have), get some water, and just step back from your stress. I have recently started going to yoga classes and have found that they are a great break from all my stress. It’s so nice to go and stretch and just have an empty brain for a little while. Remember that breaks are a necessary part of self care and that it isn’t bad to take them. So go and take a break… you deserve one. 

Celina Timmerman-Oversized Tshirt And Cup
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus

I'm Camryn and I'm a senior Special Education major from Lexington, South Carolina! I love chai lattes and enjoy all things fall.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.