Wellness > Mental Health

Avoiding Beastly Burnouts with 6 Time Management Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

We all know college can be a stressful time, and with the beginning of classes, extracurriculars and meetings with advisors or clubs, it can feel chaotic, overwhelming and stressful. I have been there multiple times, and I know what it’s like to have so many different things to attend to. However, I have found a few ways to help release all of that stress and better organize my school life. Here are a few tips to not feel completely burnt out. 

1. Use a calendar or planner 

Writing everything down, even little things, are so helpful when trying to organize your life. It is overwhelming to just let your mind be clouded by so many commitments and activities without any organization around them. I find that physically writing and taking a small portion of time to write in a planner really sets in any deadlines. 

1. Let go of unnecessary activities that aren’t making you happy

If you are signed up for any commitments or things that you feel are just draining energy out of you and that you aren’t really that passionate about, take a minute to think if you really need the extra bearings and responsibilities. If you think you are overcommitted to certain clubs or extracurriculars and aren’t setting up a healthy mindset or environment around you, it may be wise to step away from them.

1. Find a good support circle

A good, healthy mental state includes the right friends and people around you. Be sure to surround yourself with people that you really click with and are not pressuring you or discouraging you. Stay away from toxic, draining energy!

1. Set aside time to engage in a personal hobby or something you enjoy

I find it most relaxing when I devote a good portion of my personal time to a hobby I enjoy such as reading, playing the piano or just watching my favorite show or movie. Unwinding is such an integral part of your health and wellness that should not go unrecognized.

1. Chunk out time blocks in your planner devoted to studying, homework, or getting necessary work done

This will help keep you in top organization shape and will also reduce the pressure of stress and deadlines for projects and assignments. This strategy also helps you stay more focused and attentive to your work when you are not worrying about when to study for the next test or complete the next assignment. 

1. Try to get enough sleep, and engage in healthy habits 

This may seem like a cliche and general statement. However, when you really apply healthy practices such as meditation, deep breathing, less phone time or even just drinking water instead of soda, you can drastically change your lifestyle habits and give your physical health a good boost. 

These are all just little things that can help you avoid feeling completely burnt out fresh into the beginning of college, and I highly recommend you try to practice at least one of these on the list. One healthy habit may work wonders and help set you on the road to personal and academic success.