This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Life can get overwhelming sometimes. It can be tough to clear all that clutter in your mind and focus. If you’ve ever felt this way, trust me when I say this: you have to start journaling.

Reasons you should start:

A place for reflection

This is the perfect place to become more self-aware and learn more about yourself. Track your progress and growth on whatever you seek to achieve, whether that’s emotionally or physically. Plus, you’re creating something to look back on whether it’s for yourself or even your future children and grandchildren!

It’s therapeutic

Give yourself a break to better your mental health. Validating your feelings are a part of the healing process, and it’ll help to reduce your anxiety and stress. I find it really helps to lay out my mind boggle of thoughts into a more laid-out and organized format so I can actually articulate them.

Source of inspiration

It’s the ultimate place to cultivate creativity and imagination. Take a break from your focus on school and work and freely express what you want to and not what we’re expected to!

Some of my favourite journal prompts to get you started:

Manifestation

Bring what you want into the physical world through focusing that energy into your thoughts, feelings and beliefs to create it into reality. Try the 369 method: initiate your manifestation by writing it three times in the morning, six times in the afternoon and nine times in the evening.

Make lists

Write a list of your favourite songs, places you want to visit, your bucket list, books you want to read or track your finances! The list is endless.

Letter to your past and future self

Reflect on your past experiences that have led up to where you are today, make peace with the past and imagine where you’ll see yourself in the future.

Intentions, goals + affirmations

Intentions are short and positive statements that help to set your mindset. I’m sure you’re tired of hearing it but make your goals SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely). Affirmations are short, positive statements that connect inspiration, motivation and action. Your beliefs flow into your thoughts, turn into words and influence your actions, which then become your habits and eventually result in your values.

Journal tips:

Don’t be so hard on yourself

Don’t overcomplicate it! Keep it simple and be honest with yourself. Write whatever is on your mind and don’t strive for “perfection”.

Schedule journaling into your routine

It shouldn’t be a chore but try to make it a part of your schedule. Dedicate a realistic amount of time that works for you and turn journaling into a habit!

Make it a pleasurable time

You don’t even have to “invest” a lot of money into your journal or writing tools but choose something that you like so you look forward to writing in it. Settle down with a warm drink and a cozy blanket and light a candle to set the ambience.

Your journal can be anything you want or need it to be. Happy writing!

Millicent Hofung

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Millicent Hofung is a fourth year Marketing student and completing a Communications minor. She loves fashion, reading & listening to true crime podcasts. She exclusively gets nude manicures, can't say no to another houseplant and is very easily amused. Find her on Instagram @millicent.jasmine.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her