This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It’s been a few years since I started going to the gym. Yet, I was never able to fully commit to it. It started off as a New Year’s commitment, then something I picked up during the spring term, then something I used to do… no matter what, I could never stick with it.

My main fear was that I was going to be judged. As soon as I walk into the Laurier gym, all I can focus on are all the people who clearly know what they’re doing. I, meanwhile, am completely and utterly lost. But it turns out that no one was paying attention to me. Everyone’s got their headphones on, they’re focused on their sets or they’re scrolling on their phones during their breaks. So, if you don’t want to talk to anyone while you’re at the gym, that’s not difficult at all!

That said, it’s always nice to bring a friend with you. It’s much easier to feel comfortable when you have someone who’s learning with you. It’s a good reminder that everyone starts somewhere and that it’s okay if you don’t know how to use every machine on your first try! I still don’t know how to use some of the machines in the gym if I’m being honest! But I’m not scared of learning how to anymore. My friend and I try and figure it out. If we get stuck, we ask someone. I used to be terrified of asking people how to adjust the machines, or even about how many sets they had left. I don’t know what I was so afraid of. The more you open yourself up to talking to people, the quicker you’ll realize that everyone’s very friendly, especially in a university gym!

Not only is the gym a way for me to work out my body, but it’s a great stress reliever. There’s something very therapeutic about lifting weights, especially after a long day of classes and assignments. It’s the couple of hours in a day where I can’t be bothered to be worried about university, no matter how much I might try to. To be honest, the gym has made me more disciplined too. I don’t spend all night doing my schoolwork anymore. I finish everything during the day, hit the gym in the evening, then come home, shower, eat and get ready for bed! It’s made my days much more manageable.

If you want to join the gym or you have but don’t have the motivation to go, don’t give up! It’s so worth it. You’ll look great and feel great in every way: physically, mentally and emotionally. One day, you’ll wonder why you were ever scared of going to the gym in the first place.

Bhavya Jagdev

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Bhavya is a third-year BBA student at Wilfrid Laurier University. She loves to read (her favourite genres are fantasy and mystery) and spend a little too much money at Starbucks. She also enjoys travelling, spending time with her friends and family and (of course) writing.